WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature) is an International Non-Governmental Organization. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature. WWF is working with companies, governments, communities and other partners in watershed protection and the sustainable management of shared water resources in the public interest through collective actions at basin level. WWF has worked on freshwater conservation for decades and is a strong advocate for responsible private sector engagement on water issues.
The Business Development Officer will play an important role in implementing the Conservation of Natural Resources and Food security through Strengthening and Consolidation of sustainable agriculture in the KAZA area of Zambia project to establish strong CBNRM services in the Silowana complex through ensuring strong community participation and benefits. The Business Development Officer will lead the efficient programme planning and implementation at Community level. The position will also ensure that the service providers are accountable to and work proactively for effective delivery of CBNRM services in the Silowana complex. One of the key challenges for the position is to create enabling environment in the community corporation for the engagement of the private sector to provide effective CBNRM services which ensures equitable sharing of benefits.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
1. Project Planning
- Assist to develop a detailed CRB support plan both for yearly and multi-year jointly with DNPW and WWF Zambia.
- Undertake intensive consultations with private operators ( timber concessioners, lodge owners etc) to evaluate alternative service models, financing mechanisms (e.g. micro finance), develop business plans, and management systems to support the equitable sharing of profits from natural resources
- Assist the CRBs to develop a management information system (MIS), or procure an existing one, to create the infrastructure necessary to collect and update data on existing and extracted natural resources
- Undertake intensive consultations with the communities being served to determine the most appropriate level of service required and the most appropriate financing mechanisms;
2. Project Implementation:
- Work closely with the CRB staff, WWF and DNPW and private entrepreneur to ensure effective implementation of the project activities.
- Review project progress against targets and take corrective measure where required, raising issues with the WWF Project Manager as needed.
- Support the development of communication and promotional campaigns related to NRM services
- Implement the activities related to mobilising finance for CRBs and collecting data & information
3. Capacity building:
- Support the preparation of and delivery of business-oriented training programmes to advance the skills and competencies of NRM Entrepreneurs.
- Support the preparation of and delivery of quality monitoring and contact management training programme to enhance the capacity of CRB staff
- Support the preparation of and delivery of market promotion training programme to market promotion staff (Brand Promoter)
4. Liaison and networking with Government and non-Government Organizations (and Private Sectors):
- Promote and maintain effective partnership with DNPW, WWF and private sectors.
- Build strong relationship with the Kwandu transboundary forum and arrange field visit and regular progress review meeting with them
- Mobilize CRB support Structure to be more responsive to the needs of the communities
- Retain an entrepreneurial approach to deliver the project, proposing creative solutions, reducing inhibiting business factors and looking for market-based solutions in coordination with the service providers/stakeholders.
- 5. Program Monitoring and Reporting:
- Pay regular field visit to intervention areas to observe progress, with a focus on ensuring ‘quality’.
- Collect quality monitoring data from the field for reporting
- Prepare programme progress reports (Monthly and Quarterly) based on a structured M&E framework
6. Staff Management Supervise the staff directly reportable to the incumbent and perform the following:
- Supervision and Performance Management
- Support effective communications and joint working within the team
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum bachelor level university degree in a relevant field (business, finance, or economics)
- Professional full-time experience in the field of business development, business start-ups and management of basic services
- Strong business experience including marketing, operations and management
- Significant experience of capacity building, institutional support, influencing and advocacy
- Track record of delivering project activities within deadlines and budgets across public and private sectors and with NGOs
- Experience of working in CBNRM
- Strong knowledge of small and medium-scale business models and business development
- A good understanding of CBNRM and the enabling and commercial drivers that may be key to success
- Resources management – organising, training and managing project teams
- Communications and reporting, including ensuring appropriate information is collected, communicated, managed & archived effectively
- Monitoring progress and controlling activities
- Willingness and openness to working in the CBNRM sector
- Ability to work alongside corporate product and service delivery strategies to low income communities
- Ability to influence and engage effectively with corporate, utility and governmental partners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Patience, creative, self-driven and a good sense of humour
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, able to work well under pressure both proactively and reactively and prioritise a challenging workload
Exemplification of WWF’s key behaviors:
- Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, and Innovate Fearlessly
A willingness to be based in Sesheke and the embodiment of WWF Global behavioral competencies:
- Strive for Impact
- I am results driven.
- Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact.
- Listen Deeply
- I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say.
- Collaborate Openly I’m a global citizen working for a living planet.
- I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful. I work across boundaries, openly ask for help and share what I know, both internally and externally.
- Innovate Fearlessly
- I take risks to find better solutions. I measure progress and learn from mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae clearly indicating the position applied for to the email below:
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.