The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), FAO in Zambia will be partnering with the European Union, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT) to implement a 4.5-year program on Sustainable Intensification of Smallholder Farming Systems in Zambia (SIFAZ). The project will focus on building demonstrable synergies between research and promotion of appropriate sustainable agriculture intensification practices. At the same time, it provides an opportunity to further advance FAO technical coordination with Consultative Group on International Agriculture Research (CGIARS).
Under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Zambia, the Operations Specialist reports to the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA). He/she works in close collaboration with implementing partners from Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), NGOs and relevant FAO technical units in headquarters, at regional level (RAF) and sub-regional level (Sub regional Office for Southern Africa (SFS) and in close collaboration with administrative and technical units in FAO Zambia.
Coordinate operational support to implementation to the European Union Funded Sustainable Intensification of Smallholder Farming Systems in Zambia (SIFAZ) project implemented by FAO Zambia.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Act as a focal point for all project operational matters, organize and handle the day-to-day operational activities of the field programme (including emergency, rehabilitation and development projects, in national, regional and global projects) and take action in consultation with supervisors on any issues which arise during the execution period
- Prepare project task force meetings and provide secretariat support
- Ensure the timely provision of project inputs (personnel, technical support services, sub-contracts, training, equipment and supplies) required directly by the Organization or when appropriate, through contractors and in liaison with other support units
- Participate in the preparation of project work plans, monitor progress and identify corrective measures to overcome operational constraints
- Review and monitor the project budget, prepare requests and revisions as required, maintain and monitor budget expenditures and resources, review project transaction listings with a view to identify errors in accounting against budget lines
- Prepare and submit the Project Implementation Reports and any other reports required by the Organization
- Ensure the completeness and quality of data and documentation in the FAO corporate systems (e.g. GRMS, FPMIS), for all assigned operational field projects and activities
- Prepare analytical reports on project performances as required
- Coordinate action concerning the completion of field projects and arrange for timely and adequate reporting, including identification of project follow-up requirements
- Contribute to the formulation of project proposals according to FAO’s procedures and prepare project documents for technical clearance and final approval under different funding arrangements
- Perform other duties as required.
- Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following
- Advanced degree in public or business administration, finance, accounting, economics, social sciences or other fields related to the FAO mandate;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in project management/operations and support;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or of Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for COF.REG). Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish for PSAs.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting, advising and guiding the implementation of multi-stakeholder projects
- Ability to develop plans for the implementation and coordination of project operations in developing countries, in partnership with UN agencies, NGOs and other concerned actors
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation
- Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset
- Extent of experience in formulation, implementation and monitoring of projects
- Familiarity with UN administrative, operational and financial procedures is an asset
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: