WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
- Language: National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders typically report to a more senior Finance Officer.
- They operate as part of a finance team in a CO or RB, providing general financial support.
- In HQ, the job holders operate within a narrower finance specialism.
- Depending on the size and needs of the office or unit, the job may cover all aspects of finance, budget, and administration, or it may emphasize finance or more of these aspects.
- Job holders at this level operate with minimal supervision, and provide guidance to junior staff to ensure that operation and project objectives are achieved.
- They are heavily involved in day-to-day activities and analytical work, and provide advice on less complex issues, applying rules and regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities.
- To support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, analysing, reporting and providing core administrative support to enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Support corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
- Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, aligned with Regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries within the Country.
- Analyse and report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
- Monitor and analyse budgets for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
- Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
- Where necessary, deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
- Where necessary, undertake basic human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
- Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, in order to provide management with financial, accounting and budgetary information to enable them to make informed decisions.
- Track and analyse data to identify opportunities for improvements to policies, systems and procedures in order to minimise financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
- Deliver financial controls and insight into WFP performance, undertaking periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Represent unit/CO at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
Talented Women Are Highly Encouraged To Apply:
- We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
- WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
- In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavor to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development
- Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Internal Controls & Compliance Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.
- Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis Manages budget, business planning, and forecasting discussions on a programme-wide level, integrating financial resource information from a portfolio of projects to analyze effectiveness and financial viability.
- Resources Management (People, time, assets, etc.) Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.
- Financial Management and Accounting Principles Monitors and advises senior leaders on the financial status of projects and programmes, tracking outcomes to ensure transparent and effective utilization of resources.
- Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge Demonstrates thorough understanding of WFP programme and financial policies, business processes and applies these in the implementation or support of WFP programme interventions.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
Provide a critical coordination link that connects planning to operational delivery and performance /risk management:
- Take full responsibility, Oversight and adviser role on all funding sources and pipeline management
- Support Strategic Outcome (SO)/Activity and Functional Managers to manage their budgets by ensuring sufficient technical and analytical support and guidance; identify knowledge or information gaps and propose solutions
- Provide the Secretariat function of the Resource Management Committee (RMC) which will recommend to the CD the allocation of flexible resources; the Secretariat will prepare actual and forecast financial analysis to support the decision-making process
- Establish and maintain effective strategic level coordination with other functional areas at CO, HQ, and RB level to resolve large or complex issues related to finance, budget and programming and administration
- Participate in the coordination of UN Common Services and Operation Management Team activities, and represent WFP as the Lead Agency for the ICT Working Group, when required
- Strong managerial and supervisory skills to oversee, motivate and deliver strong team performance:
- Lead, motivate and coach a team of resource management professionals and general service staff to enable continued development and high performance
- Other as required.
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role:
- Has experience reviewing and analyzing financial statements.
- Has experience implementing accounting and internal control processes.
- Terms and conditions:
- WFP offers equal opportunities to all WFP is committed to promoting a work culture in which every employee understands and is able to carry out their work responsibilities and maintain the dignity of their co-workers.
- WFP offers career opportunities for its employees and supports them in their professional development with training and continuous learning actions.
- WFP is also committed to creating and maintaining a harmonious climate in the workplace, based on mutual respect and understanding, free of discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment and abuse of authority and respectful of diversity.
- WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workforce and encourages qualified women and men from all religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
- WFP has a zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on the status of HIV / AIDS.
- Finally, WFP seeks to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment and is confident that its mission to fight global hunger can only be achieved if women, men, girls and boys equal opportunity for access to resources and services and participation in decision-making roles
Contract type/grade: Fixed Term/NOB
Contract Duration: 1 year (Renewable)
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
Eligibility: This VA is open ONLY to Zambian Nationals. WFP is an equal opportunity employer.Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: