Community Markets for Conservation (COMACO) is a Zambian nonprofit that merges conservation and social entrepreneurship. Our approach entails promoting climate-smart agriculture and promoting alternative livelihoods like beekeeping, fish farming, crop diversification, etc to smallholder farmers across Zambia. We also provide ready markets to these smallholder farmers who farm using conservation farming methods after which we process these crops into food products sold under the It’s Wild! brand.
Our work focuses on building relationships with rural communities who live around or adjacent to key habitats like the Luangwa Valley and Kafue National Park. This relationship helps promote conservation while improving food security and provides an economic incentive to adopt sustainable methods of farming and management of natural resources from forests and rivers.
COMACO at a glance:
15 years of operation in Eastern Zambia
Working with 179,000 farmers
Established and partnered with 80 community cooperatives
What You Will Do:
- As the Social Media Content Creator Intern, you will gain real-world experience applying your knowledge to present our COMACO’s thought leadership and distinct value proposition to new and potential audiences both local and abroad.
- You will support real-world strategies by evaluating business trends, identifying key market areas and opportunities, and executing your ideas to produce impact and generate brand awareness.
- Develop content for and manage, social media channels
- Create and deploy branding strategies
- Track website visitor user experience, website, and social media analytics
- Develop and communicate PR initiatives
- Identify potential opportunities for user-generated content to strengthen brand affinity for COMACO and It’s Wild!
What You Need (please read carefully!):
- This is a challenging internship for candidates who meet or exceed the required profile as described herein and have are desiring real-world marketing experience that will make a difference.
- This internship is located in Lusaka at COMACO’s HQ office, Communications Department. The Communications Department provides substantive internal and external communications across all departments and provides PR support for COMACO and It’s Wild!
- The intern is under the overall supervision of the Communications Manager and the direct supervision of a staff member in one of the organizational units within the COMACO.
- Qualified Female Candidates Encouraged to apply
- Within limits of delegated authority, the intern is responsible for the following duties:
- Research COMACO/ It’s Wild! and/or external information repositories for print and/or digital materials on specific thematic issues, in cooperation with appropriate substantive focal points.
- Collect, compile, and/or draft content for regular and ad-hoc information materials (e.g. newsletter, factsheet, talking points, etc.), coordinating with relevant author officers/ departments.
- Provide clerical assistance (e.g. formatting and proofreading text documents, searching archives, running basic reports, etc.) on administrative tasks.
- Research, draft and/or update on-line content for web sites and/or social media accounts, with guidance from subject matter experts within the organization and relevant substantive focal points.
- Provide general office support (e.g. processing correspondence; maintaining files, records, and/or databases; organizing meetings; taking meeting minutes; etc.)
- Disseminate information materials in both electronic and hard-copy format to field offices.
- Utilize existing organization standard software and applications to facilitate collaboration and communication between COMACO staff in HQ and in the field offices
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Strict Competency Requirements:
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates the appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- To qualify for an internship with the COMACO/ It’s Wild!, the following four conditions must be met:
Applicants are required to:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Journalism, Communication, Media Studies, Information Science, Information Systems, International Relations or related field.
- Or be enrolled in the third year minimum of their academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); in Journalism, Communication, Media Studies, Information Science, Information Systems, International Relations or related field.
- Or have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship at the required stated date mentioned in this advert.
- You must be proficient in standard office automation equipment (e.g. computer, scanner, printer, etc.) and software systems (e.g. Microsoft Windows 7 or similar; Microsoft Office or similar; Outlook or similar, etc.).
- And have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No Professional Work Experience Required
- Must have skills/qualifications for this intern position:
- Social Media Management (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Snap)
- Strong skills in MS Office
- Internet research skills
- Working knowledge of social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and Instagram
Good to have skills:
- Video editing skills (Premiere, FinalCut Pro, iMovie)
- Some knowledge of WordPress backend (HTML)
- familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Canva or other graphic design software
- Hours per week: 24hrs, 3 days/week, part-time/flexible hours available.
- Due to the high volume of applicants, we may only be able to contact qualified candidates.*
How to Apply
To apply for this job email your details to this email: