First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Design and execute a range of off job and on the job competency based training programs in order to meet Mine Operations’ training and development needs.
- Evaluate competency based assessment outcomes; ensure that all off and on the job programs are professionally conducted and that quality standards are met.
- Ensure all apprentice, trainee, employee and contractor learning and assessment results are accurately recorded so that personnel files are consistently kept up to date.
- Manage the scheduling of all Operations’ training and resources to meet operational and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain strong community and government relationships to synergize opportunities that compliment Operations’ training programs and encourage development of local employees.
- Provide timely and reliable reports on training activities to assist in strategic planning and business decision-making processes.
- Evaluate, hire ad manage appropriate contractors to provide training services.
- Coordinate and supervise the operations’ training team.
- Develop and review relevant JSAs (Job Safety Analysis), SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and training manuals.
Cost Management & Reporting:
- Coordinate inputs for the business unit during the budget preparation process for senior management.
- Provide day to day management of the budget to ensure compliance with budget and forecasts highlighting any variances to management.
- Manage and report on controllable cost drivers such as attendance, overtime, equipment hours, task assignment, work performance and consumable items to meet budget targets.
- Accountable for approval of purchases and expenditure within delegated limits of authority
- Monitor monthly costs and complete monthly accruals for areas of responsibility to ensure the departments’ operating costs are accounted for accurately
- Ensure budgetary constraints are adhered to by minimising wastage without jeopardising the quality of the services provided.
- Manage the costs associated with business management, including tenders and contract. negotiations where required.
Compliance / Quality Control:
- Promote and adhere to appropriate internal methodologies, policies, procedures and standards.
- Consistently maintain a high quality of work across all allocated functions.
- Provide input/informed commentary, improvement opportunities and areas of risk to management.
- Control the quality of work output from the department by implementing an ongoing monitoring and audit process to ensure compliance against company standards.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory and company standards through training and development of staff and promoting by example.
Safety and Environment:
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental and Social Responsibility awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety, and environmental and Social Responsibility practices.
- Identify potential hazards and ensure action is appropriately taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise safety, environmental and Social Responsibility issues at meetings to ensure issues are addressed and resolved quickly
- Coordinate the reporting, treatment and management program of all injuries and implement return to work programmes for any personnel with longer term injuries.
- Ensure the election of safety representatives to the work group as required.
- Provide day to day management acting as a technical reference point and mentor for staff to ensure work outputs are in line with strategic and business plans.
- Monitor performance and develop review plans for all direct reports.
- Conduct formal career development discussions with employees to identify development opportunities and programs that assist with defining future career progression possibilities.
- Organise rosters for direct reports, ensuring adequate supervision for their respective work groups during leave periods.
- Review and implement longer term training initiatives for the unit.
- Promote and adhere to Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Procedures through consistently demonstrating and encouraging safe work practices.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- BS degree with formal qualifications in Training and/or Learning Development (preferred)
- Formal qualifications in training eg. Certificate in Workplace Assessor and Training or the ability to obtain.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in training and / or development in a mining environment.
- Minimum 5 years’ management experience, including staff supervision, budget management, strategic planning and evaluation.
- Previous experience implementing a training and / or learning & development system or package.
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards, demonstrating accountability, integrity and transparency in actions at all times.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage suppliers/contractors.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, remaining on track and compensating for variances.
- Vision to perceive risks and opportunities with superior decision-making ability to act on these accordingly.
- Previous experience in senior roles and able to demonstrate management skills.
- Proven track record of success.
- Ability to develop solutions in challenging environment.
Safety and Environment:
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Team contributor
- Driven for results.
- Planned and organized.
- Quality orientation
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: