First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that the WHB, ESP & dust handling system, concentrate & reagents loading systems and associated equipment are operated efficiently and safely within prescribe
- Ensure Larox filter plant is monitored and operated via DCS efficiently and safely in conjunction with field operators and shift controllers.
- Ensure the concentrate reclaimers are monitored and operated via DCS efficiently and safely in conjunction with field operators and shift controllers.
- Ensure adequate levels in all the day bins for various furnaces with corrected loading of materials.
- Monitor boiler feed water and circulation water quality by working hand in hand with field operator and ensure samples are sent to lab for analysis as per requirement. Adjust blowdown rates and chemical additions as required to achieve the water specifications.
- Monitor and control process parameters & plant equipment through the Distributed Control System (DCS) to achieve production targets
- Respond to alarms and process disturbances in a timely manner
- Operate safety systems such as Emergency Stop Systems in the event of an emergency and fully conversant with power failure Emergency system in place
- Clearly and accurately communicate the status of the plant to others, ie. field operators, maintenance workers, other control room operators (e.g. ISASMELT CRO, and Utilities)
- Maintain an accurate operating log-sheet using computerised or other systems
- Provide field operators with information and instructions as required to enable them to carry out their jobs safely and effectively
- Monitor and interpret assay results from process streams
- Monitor and interpret process data via the plant process historian system (PI)
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. maintenance, metallurgists)
- Understand and identify all relevant plant equipment, process control systems & emergency systems; be able to explain these clearly to others
- When not occupied with core duties, assist other plant operators with routine tasks such as, isolations and lock-outs, housekeeping and sampling
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor
- Grade 12 AND previous experience as a Control Room Operator
- Diploma in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering or Equivalent and previous experience as Control Room Operator.
- Any previous experience as CRO
- Any exposure to DCS system
- Any experience in furnace/boiler operation
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely in English
- Responsible and punctual approach to work
- Discipline and teamwork
- Ability to follow instructions and to give instructions where required
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: