The SENTINEL Project (Social and Environmental Trade-offs in African Agriculture)
(Zambia component) – www.sentinel-gcrf.org, hosted by The Copperbelt University, is
seeking to recruit a Project Administrative Assistant to be based at Kapasa Makasa
Campus in Chinsala, Muchinga Province . SENTINEL is a collaborative research project
under the UK’s Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), led by the International Institute
for Environment and Development (IIED), UK (www.iied.org). The project seeks to
understand the extent, nature, drivers and impacts of agricultural expansion into natural
habitats in Ghana, Ethiopia and Zambia, in order to inform policy decisions on land use,
ecosystem conservation and agricultural development. The project started in October 2017
and will end in December 2021.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Project Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing administrative assistance in general project implementation and management and day-to-day liaison with project team members in Zambia, stakeholders, and international project partners. He/She will provide comprehensive secretarial, administrative, financial, logistical and procurement support to the Co-Investigator, including drafting and responding to email correspondence, taking of minutes during meetings, arranging for the processing of visa clearances for visiting partners and researchers, making travel arrangements and related tasks, and providing other logistical support to the project team in Zambia. The Project Administrative Assistant will carry out his/her functions under the direct supervision of the Co-Investigator. He/She will be expected to get him/herself acquainted with key project documents to understand the themes and scope of the SENTINEL project, while performing his/her duties as outlined below.
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic international team on an exciting topic. Administrative management:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans
- Maintain project correspondence and communication.
- Collect, register and maintain all information on project activities.
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of progress reports.
- Prepare agendas and arrange field visits, appointments and meetings both internal and external related to the project activities and write minutes from the meetings.
- Maintain project filing system.
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc).
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants, researchers and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures.
- Assist in logistical organization of meetings, training and workshops.
- Draft minutes of the monthly Executive Group and other project related meetings.
- Financial management:
- In collaboration with the Copperbelt University assigned Project Accountant:
- Follow-up on timely disbursements by SENTINEL Project Administrator.
- Assist in the preparation of payment requests for operational expenses, FTE monthly payments, etc. against project budgets and work plans.
- Support the preparations of project work-plans and operational and financial planning processes.
- Monitor project activities, budget and financial expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions.
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions.
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget
- Assist researchers and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services.
- In collaboration with the Procurement Assistant:
- Assist in procurement and staff recruitment processes.
- Assist the Co-Investigator in preparation of ToRs for the researchers and consultants.
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services.
- Arrange for project equipment maintenance and insurance as required.
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the project.
- Maintain records over project equipment inventory.
- Professionalism – Demonstrated ability to manage projects and maintain accurate records
- attention to detail. Ability to work independently and to maintain flexibility in working hours.
- Planning and Organising – Demonstrated ability to handle work in an efficient and timely manner; proactive, self-motivated; effective time management.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with counterparts. Communication – Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Grade 12 or Form V Certificate with 5 ‘O’Levels
- Diploma in project management, or higher qualification in agriculture or environment
- At least 2 years of administrative, project (coordination and/or implementation) and/or financial management experience.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular mastery of MS Office package that includes MS Word, MS Excel.
- Excellent written communication skills and
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of other local languages is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit a current CV and covering letter outlining how their qualifications and experience meet the requirements of the position applied for. Individuals meeting the above set qualifications should apply sending their applications accompanied by detailed current Curriculum Vitae (CV), certified copies of Academic and Professional qualifications together with three (3) names and address of referees, of which two must be professionally acquainted with the applicant. The application must clearly state the position being applied for and must reach the undersigned: It should be addressed to:
Note: The appointment will be on a fixed 21 months period non renewable.
The Registrar Copperbelt University Jambo Drive,
PO Box 21692 Kitwe, Zambia.