First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all tax affairs of the business under the direct supervision of the Accounting Superintendent.
- Prepares, organizes, and compiles data for the preparation of annual filings and statutory tax returns.
- Leads the internal control improvement initiative of process and handles the documentation and review of process flows.
- Identifies key controls and efficiency opportunities and prepares written correspondence and other documents for submission to the statutory authorities.
- Prepares tax estimates and planning and becomes highly involved in tax planning.
- Reviews tax accruals and taxing authorities’ draft responses and notices.
- Responsible for reconciling procurement/payroll and benefits and general ledger systems in order to guarantee that there is integrity and accuracy in all financial records.
Financial/Tax Analysis & Reporting:
- Prepares tax returns (direct & indirect), inclusive of other supporting schedules.
- Is charged with the preparation of quarterly/annual estimated payments in the in preparation of tax provision calculations and journal entries.
- Responsible for financial reporting that pertains to regulatory compliance and financial reporting pertaining compliance.
Documentation & Record Management:
- Responsible for proper documentation and tax record management.
- Takes ownership of the business’s tax compliance and corporate tax returns related records.
- Conducts research and documents tax-related technical issues, preparing written communication of both direct and indirect tax issues, for example, refund claims, corporate income tax inquiries, needed exemption forms, etc.
- Is charged with the preparation of weekly/annual/ journal entries in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reconciles tax general ledger accounts and prepares tax accounting journal entries.
- Liaises with external tax accounting firms and tax authorities.
- Required to work closely with top financial department leadership.
- Along with the Accounting Superintendent, the Tax Accountant is also responsible for coordinating internal management and review of the business’s tax affairs.
- Degree in Accounting and professional accountancy qualification (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ZICA etc.) or studying towards
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of accounting experience
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
Experience and Skills
- Analytical skills and working with volumes of data
- Well rounded understanding of Mining operations
- Expert knowledge international financial reporting standards (IFRS)
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant Zambian laws and regulations (e.g. Companies’ Act, Tax laws etc.)
- Good command of the English Language (speaking and writing)
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and handle competing work demands
- Must be dependable and self-motivated
- Must have good communication and interpersonal Skills
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Able to work under minimum supervision
- Unquestionable integrity
- Must uphold the company and professional code of ethics
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: