Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. Our Vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. In Zambia, Save the Children works in the following Thematic areas: Education, Health& Nutrition, Child Protection, Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty; including Humanitarian response. Save the Children wishes to invite qualified individuals to apply for the following short-term position:
Duty Station: Gwembe- Southern Province
Duration: 4 months
Role Purpose: The project officer will ensure timely distribution of food to target school and their capacity to run school feeding programme, as well as monitor the progress of the project. The project officer will work closely with DEBS in Southern province and education stakeholders to ensure field coordination to enhance the impacts of the intervention. S/he will also work with target school and MEAL team to document monitor school attendance in target schools to support data management, project reporting including tracking and accountability.
The Project Officer will report to the Response Team leader.
- Project Implementation
- Identify implementation challenges and support target schools to deliver school feeding programme.
- These include day-to-day troubleshooting and provision of implementation advices to target schools to address emerging challenges.
- Ensure that orientation for SHN committees on CSG, Child Protection, and food handling are conducted through coordination with CSG Focal point, CP specialist, and District Health Office.
- Support the development of hygiene promotion messaging and its dissemination in target schools as part of school feeding intervention.
- Provide support to improve school management and planning to address the immediate issues around pupils’ attendance and performance due to drought.
- With support from DEBs office establish Flexible learning methodologies (or remedial learning) to ensure at-risk learners continue learning.
- Ensure that Child protection and safe guarding is integrated in the emergency school feeding program
- Working with MEAL establish compliant and accountability mechanism for the project
- Prepare monthly forecast for the project activities in the Southern province
- Logistics and administration:
- Support the development of the project procurement plan by identify procurement needs in Southern province
- Ensure that SCI logistics, HR, and administrative procedures are followed with regards to procurement, hiring volunteers and/or consultants, and project-associated travel arrangements
- Identify office supply needs for the project and ensure that the team is well equipped to deliver the work warehousing, and distribution operations information.
- Coordination and representation
- Maintain close coordination with DEBS and other educational stakeholder in Southern province.
- Ensure that required information is shared with relevant authorities and required permissions are processed.
- Attend coordination meeting in the South Province to represent Save the Children
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Social Science or equivalent qualifications.
- At least 3-year experience in a development or humanitarian programme with non- governmental organisation organizations with proven evidence of project management.
- Experience of working with funding from major institutional donors such as USAID, Swedish SIDA, and EU
- Experience of working in education sector, especially school feeding programme, is a plus.
- Nationals based in Southern Province is added advantage
- Ability to travel to the field with short notice. 50% of the working time may be dedicated to field travel.
- Ability to work in a team with diverse culture.
- Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
How to Apply
Please send only your application letter clearly stating the position in the subject line with a detailed CV indicating 3 traceable referees, one of whom should have been direct supervisor, through email to: The Human Resource & Administration Manager,
Please do not attach copies of your certificates,
Only short listed candidates will be notified. Save the Children reserves the right to re advertise if suitable applicants are not found.