Zambia has been implementing the World Bank supported Pilot Programme for Climate Resilience (PPCR) aimed at strengthening Zambia ‘s institutional framework for climate resilience (while) improving the adaptive capacity of vulnerable communities in selected sub-basins. This phase strengthens capacity at both national and local levels, whilst piloting the mainstreaming of climate risk management into spatial planning. Investments supported by the Zambia PPCR on the ground include participatory adaptation, climate-resilient infrastructure and strategic program support in agriculture, water, livestock, fisheries and natural resources and climate information services. The investments were targeted at helping the country to manage challenge of land degradation, unsustainable land use and climate variability and change. The PPCR intersections in the Barotse Sub-Basin are being implemented through the Strengthening Climate Resilience in the Barotse sub Basin (SCReBS) project and covers all the districts in Western Province. The Project Development Objective (PDC) is “to strengthen Zambia’s institutional framework for climate resilience and improve the adaptive capacity of vulnerable communities in the Barotse Sub Basin”. The Ministry of National Development Planning now invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fitl the following positions of Project Manager (01), Project Accountant (01) and Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (01) as part of the SCReBS Project Implementation Units (PIU) based in Mongu, Western Province.
Objective of the position:
The Project Accountant will be responsible for supporting the Project in deploying project resources with due attention to economy, efficiency and effectiveness project implementation areas under the supervision of the Project Manager,
- To ensure timely preparation, consolidation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for project activities in the province as specified in the financial guidelines of the project
- To monitor financial compliance and control expenditure vis-a-vis budget ceilings in financial operations of the project in the province
- To actively participate in the preparation and consolidation of budgets and annual work plans for the project in the province
- To facilitate timely preparation and submission of withdraw applications for disbursement of funds from the donors to the project designated account
- Consolidate annual financial statements for audit and ensure that audited financial statements are prepared on time;
- To review district budgets and facilitate processing of funding request to the Project
- Implementing stations, and other beneficiaries,
- To ensure project financial transactions are appropriately processed and recorded in the financial management system
- To sensitise staff on the adherence to financial regulations in handling project finances and ensure adherence to the Public Finance Management Act, 2018 or as may be revised; and
- To undertake any other duties as may be assigned by the Provincial Project Operations Officer.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, full Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), or Chartered Institute Management Accountants (CIMA) or Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA) professional or CA Zambia or any other related accounting professional qualification
- Proof of a full Grade 12 Certificate or its equivalent
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- Five (5) years experience in Finance and Financial Reporting, experience working in a Donor-funded organisation Will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of the World Bank financial management and disbursement guidelines will be a very strong advantage
- Excellent computer skills and be conversant in using accounting packages such as Pastel, SUN System, NAVISION, QuickBooks or similar Software
- Self-starter and ability to work independently, pay careful attention to detail and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment; and
- Should have good communication skills and fluency in English.
- The engagement is for an initial 1 year with possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance.
- The Project Accountant shall report to frie Project Manager PIU; In addition, the Project Accountant shall collaborate with the Financial Management Specialist at the NPCU.
How to Apply
Sealed envelopes consisting of application letters with current curriculum vitae (CV) and copies of academic/professional qualifications must be submitted to the Office of the Permanent Secretary, Western Province. The outer envelope must clearly indicate the position applied for.
For/ Permanent Secretary – DPA,
Ministry of National Development Planning,