About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
The main responsibilities of the Innovations Project Specialist are to design and manage trials and design processes focusing on program changes that increase One Acre Fund’s scale, Impact and sustainability, with a focus on Mobile Money project first.
The current major scale Innovations project for the Zambia program is the shift of our repayment system from cash to Mobile Money. Given the transaction size of our clients, our field team is put at risk carrying the collected cash on the field. We started the trial in May 2018 and have around 1,000 farmers using this system.
However, our growth target requires One Acre Fund Zambia to change, adapt to new market opportunities, and find new ways of delivering impact to farmers. You will have to develop and test changes to the One Acre Fund program model to support the realization of these bold goals.
Specific responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Understand the challenges and design program innovations:
- Lead qualitative and quantitative research to identify the strongest opportunities for the Zambia program using surveys, interviews, Human Centered design approaches.
- Design trials to address these identified challenges:
- what does OAF still need to learn, how to create interventions that are scalable, efficient and impactful?
Trials and scale up decisions:
- Plan and execute controlled trials
- Collect data and analyze results using technical skills in Excel (can perform complex functions) or statistical software, and make recommendations based on trial results and collaboration with other essential departments to guarantee a smooth transition at scale
Mobile Money Team management:
- Direct Management of a staff member and ensure high-quality professional development
- Prepare staff member for full ownership of Mobile Money project and other important SI projects
- Support on partnerships and relationship building - a large part of the current trial and of the future scale-up relies on our capacity to build long lasting relationships with our main partners (MNOs, Super-Agents etc.). The PS will develop these relationships to ensure smooth scale up of the trial
Communication & Coordination:
- Coordinate closely with departments across One Acre Fund’s in-country and global teams
- Strategy, Spending and Budgeting
- Set up strategy with department lead and identify future opportunities for SI Zambia
- With manager support, follow-up trial spending and budget and review monthly actual spending against planned spending. Keep all projects operating to maximum efficiency and within planned budget
- The Innovations Specialist will receive manager support through:
- Formal and documented weekly manager check ins which provide a venue for feedback on project work and professional development
- Structured opportunities to collaborate with and present/propose solutions to the wider OAF management team through:
- Within three months of taking this position the manager will provide the position holder with a development plan that aims to determine expectations and prepare the position holder for future career growth within One Acre Fund
- A formal performance and development review (which will follow a salary review) every six months
Career Growth and Development:
- One Acre Fund invests in building management skills. Your manager will invest time in your career development. We provide constant, relevant feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our growth, we always have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
- We are looking for someone with 2 or more years of experience and a passion for and knowledge of agricultural sciences and development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in any discipline
- 3+ years of experience developing, and evaluating field-based projects
- Fluent English speaker
- History of managing a team
- Data analysis, Word and Excel (can perform complex functions) fluency
- Good working and communication style - a natural teamwork attitude to achieve move projects forward
- Strong desire to split work time between the office and field and focus on project planning and management
Preferred Start Date:
- Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates:
- No; must have existing rights to work in Zambia.
- Zambia country nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.