Cities and Infrastructure for Growth (CIGZambia) is a facility that provides high-quality independent technical advice and assistance to Zambian government bodies and private sector organisations engaged in projects /programmes that help harness the potential of Zambia’s cities and towns to act as drivers for economic growth and job creation. CIGZambia is funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
The overall programme objectives are:
- Increasing urban productivity
- Improving inclusive access to urban economic infrastructure services
- Increasing investment into urban economic infrastructure services
- Enhancing national and regional integration between cities
- Talented, committed and responsible people from diverse backgrounds are essential for us to fulfil our purpose of reimagining Zambia.
- We strive to unleash the power of our people and we cultivate an organisational culture that is inspired, curious and empowered.
Bioenergy definition: We define bioenergy as a source of energy derived from forest land, forest, manure and municipality waste or energy crops for electricity, heat or transport.
- We are seeking an Industrial Waste Expert for the bioenergy team.
- The biggest benefits of this role are, having to contribute to shaping the potential bioenergy market in Zambia by defining the scope and potential for growth in this sector.
- You have expertise in industrial management and use for energy generation from various industrial wastes.
- You have knowledge of landfill gas, renewable municipality waste, meet processing, abattoirs/ slaughterhouses, fruit processing, oil producing (soya, vegetable), fruit juice producing, sugar producing, pulp & paper, textile, tanneries & leather, breweries & fermentation and wastewater.
- You can conduct research and field checks, take samples and make observations, perform tests, and identify industrial waste challenges and problems, analyse impact of waste and impact on climate change.
- The biggest challenge of this role will be multitasking and completing documents to adhere to international “client-ready” levels.
- The current team around this role is made up of a bioenergy feedstock experts, strategic planning & business development, project funding, household/medium/large bioenergy experts, demand expert, gender/social/climate change experts, government procedures expert, monitoring & evaluation and behavioural change communication expert. The team, in general, describes themselves as passionate, adaptable and ultimately, capable.
About the Role – Main purpose and scope of work:
The main role of the Industrial Waste Expert will be qualitative and quantitative analysis and field trips to understand the potential of Industrial residues for energy generation from companies across Zambia.
Duties and key responsibilities:
- Studying industrial waste, industrial waste sources, volumes, quality, usability for bioenergy, companies in order to develop assumptions on bioenergy potential.
- Researching, developing, and promoting industrial waste management practices which enable to leverage bioenergy potential and that diminish the effects of waste disposal to the environment.
- Visiting companies to collect samples and testing samples for residues energy content or other changes.
- Assisting with the industrial waste residue selection process and the development of residue separation, storage and usage schedules, budgets, and timelines.
- Keeping detailed records regarding Industrial waste, companies, waste residues and samples.
- Generating reports and presenting findings to management, clients, or other interested parties.
- Promoting products and techniques through educational presentations to increase bioenergy uptake.
- Managing teams of scientists or enumerator while conducting field visits or laboratory work.
- Creating, maintaining and monitoring project plans, project schedules, work hours, budgets and expenditures.
- Organizing, attending and participating in stakeholder meetings.
- Documenting and following up on important actions and decisions from meetings.
- Preparing necessary presentation materials for meetings.
- Ensuring project deadlines are met.
- Determining project changes.
- Providing administrative support as needed.
- Undertaking project tasks as required.
- Ensuring projects adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each project.
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable.
- Ensure stakeholder views are managed towards the best solution.
- Chair and facilitate meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members.
- Create a project management calendar for fulfilling each goal and objective.
Required Qualifications / Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Waste Management or related field.
- 5 years work experience.
- Worked for 2 organisations (2 years’ experience with each).
- Working knowledge of MS Excel Formulas.
- Working knowledge of MS Word Styles.
- Working knowledge of MS PowerPoint Shape Formatting
- Ability to work outside, stand, walk, kneel, and stoop for extended periods.
- Awareness of industry trends, technology, and developments.
Key Qualifications (skills & experience):
- International exposure
- Time management
- Organisational skills
- Problem solving skills
- Negotiation skills
- Writing skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
- Work schedule
- Work environment
- MSc degree
- Additional certifications
- International experience in the field of bioenergy
- A driver’s licence is a plus
How to Apply
Please send your CV to the email below: For CV to be considered, subject line in email must be completed as follows:
Job Title – Candidate: Last Name First Name. Highest Degree, years of work experience in highest degree. In 3 words why you apply.
Example: Bioenergy Manager – Candidate: John Phiri. MSc Environmental Science, 10.0 years. I live bioenergy.
Non-Discrimination Claim: We do not and shall not discriminate based on race, colour, faith, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.