Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Safeguarding children and young people is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building programmes focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Plan International Zambia is looking for experienced, innovative, motivated, self-starter individuals to fill the following position:
- The role will lead the overall HR function for Plan International Zambia, developing HR Services from an operational and strategic perspective. The incumbent will co-ordinate HR operations in Zambia ensuring that the HR function is aligned to Plan International Zambia business and deliver sound and cost-effective people management practices through continuous improvement and prioritization. The position holder will provide practical, consistent, and proactive support, direction and advice to the Country Leadership Team, People Managers and all staff on HR policies, systems procedures and best practices.
Key areas of responsibility include:
1. Performance Management and Organization Development
- Establishes and regularly reviews standard and generic job descriptions for all positions and ensures all posts have up to date job descriptions and employees holding the posts are given copies of the same
- Ensures that appropriate format for performance appraisal is in place and all staff have understanding of Plan International Zambia’s Performance appraisal system
- Developing the Human Resource & OD Strategy and Operational Plan.
- This involves medium to long term strategic planning to ensure operational plans are aligned with the Human Resources & Organizational Development Strategy and Country Strategy Plan.
- Designing and facilitating the implementation of change management programs to support cultural & organizational change and performance improvement in line with organizational values; facilitate the development.
2. Systems and Policies Development and Implementation
- Ensure the PLAN INTERNATIONAL ZAMBIA’s HR strategies, policies, procedures and guidelines are implemented and regularly updated based on PLAN INTERNATIONAL ZAMBIA international’s procedures and ensures compliance with best practices and standard local laws
- Plans the human resource, manages recruitment and selection and ensures safety wellness of PLAN INTERNATIONAL ZAMBIA staff
- Handles employee grievances, disciplinary issues and other administrative problems according to PLAN INTERNATIONAL ZAMBIA’s policies and procedures and consult with the legal advisor on staff legal cases.
- Ensures consistent and uniform implementation of the HR policy and procedures throughout the organization.
3. Recruitment and HRIS Management
- Works with Managers and Supervisors to forecast HR need and completes overall HR staff planning for the Plan Zambia
- Directs and monitors the processing and entry of employee source data and documentation into the human resources information system and the manual personnel files, develops and implements policies and systems to ensure the highest standard of accuracy, timeliness, and efficiency in personnel records management;
4. Planning, Budgeting and Reporting
- Preparation of periodic reports on HR management activities and submits to the senior leadership and the Country Director.
- Ensuring that HR plans support the attainment of the organizational objectives. These plans will be included into the financial planning models and the coordinator will review budgets to ensure all expenditure has been planned for
5. Staff Management
- Supervises, leads guides and supports HR Department
- Orients, trains, and coaches’ staff. Recommends or initiates personnel actions such as merit increases and other salary adjustments, promotions, transfers, terminations, and disciplinary actions including performance improvement plans;
6. Child Protection
- Demonstrate commitment to Plan’s child protection policy though implementing the policy fully, and report any actual or potential risk situations following the reporting procedures, being aware of abuse and risks to children, being vigilant, becoming familiar with the CPP, and preventing abuse/protect children.
- Ensure that all recruitment processes meet the Child protection standards and guidelines requirements from advert, clearances and the orientation of new staff.
- Degree in Human Resource/ Public Administration or equivalent
- Masters qualification or relevant post graduate qualification an added advantage
- At least 5-7 years of experience working in an HR generalist management role
- Experience successfully implementing organizational HR policy and practice.
- Experience in an HR specialist function, organizational design, performance management, reward management, recruitment and selection, or training and development
- Excellent writing and speaking in English language
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to make timely decisions, initiate action and drive for results
- Strong appreciation of HR Management policies and procedures
- NGO experience – added adavantage
- Problem-solving attitude and skills
- Planning and Analytical Skills
- Leadership skills
How to Apply
Please send an email to. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
All Applications should be addressed to:
The Country Human Resource Manager, Plan International Zambia,
Private Bag 518X Plot 87A,
Kabulonga road Kabulonga.
We provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organizational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.