This position is typically located in the administrative services, registry or operations unit in Country Office for Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique.
As a team member, the incumbent provides reliable and safe driving services to the Office Director and other officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity and sense of responsibility. The incumbent is accountable for arranging airport VIP and protocol services and customs clearances when receiving high-level delegations. The incumbent may be required to carry out certain messenger functions and clerical support services. The incumbent is required to plan and organise workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines, and shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs. Work affects the delivery of mail and pouch and transportation services of the Office.
The position works under the supervision of the Operations Officer. The incumbent operates with some operational independence in carrying out assignments and supervision focuses on the successful achievement of assignments. The incumbent does not receive guidance on the technical aspects of the duties but does receive procedural and day-to-day operational supervision.
- Internal contacts are with staff and visiting ILO officials to receive instructions on operational issues such as work schedules and to exchange information.
- External contacts are primarily with government and airport authorities for exchange of information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the provision of safe and reliable driving services. Drive the Office Director, senior level officials and other authorized personnel and visitors. Meet officials and visitors at the airport including assisting, where necessary, with protocol, visa and customs formalities.
- Deliver and collect mail and documents and other items.
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle and accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and documentation.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of assigned vehicles through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tyres, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc in order to keep the vehicle clean and in good running condition at all times. Also, the servicing of all pool vehicles for the office.
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit and other MOSS-compliant equipment, and necessary spare parts in assigned vehicles.
- Where appropriate, schedule drivers and vehicles for use on a daily basis.
- Inform the supervisor in a timely manner of (re)registrations and insurance procedures for all the office vehicles.
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores. Assist in the mailing, collection and distribution of documents and publications including to ministries and banks. Arrange to pay office telephone and other bills. Perform data entry duties.
- Assisting in Airport Diplomatic clearance for incoming VIP staff. Also, assisting with Immigration and Foreign Affairs lodgement of Visa, Work Permit, Diplomatic ID and other personal effects for incoming staff
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- optional section (only if needed)
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Valid and clean driving licence.
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience with a safe driving record. Driving experience with a UN agency, diplomatic or international organization.
- At least one-year experience as a senior driver is an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of an official national language of the duty station and Excellent knowledge of an official language (English) of the Organization.
Knowledge and Competencies (technical/behavioural):
- Excellent knowledge of local driving rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of local roads and conditions.
- Skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Good knowledge of chauffeur protocol and courtesies.
- Good knowledge of security issues.
- Good knowledge of rules and procedures on vehicle management including maintenance of official vehicles and knowledge of mechanics and maintenance and repair of vehicles.
- Knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Basic computer skills to record information in IT systems
- In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity,
Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
- Ability to present a professional image at all times.
- Ability to deal calmly with unexpected circumstances or delays.
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- “Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position”.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: