John Snow Health Zambia (JSH-Z) with support from USAID through the eSCMIS Project will continue assisting the Government of the Republic of Zambia in the rollout of a next-generation electronic supply chain management information system (eSCMIS). The eSCMIS Project aims to increase the use of health services, decrease disease burden and increase quality of life through ensuring appropriate quantities and quality of health commodities are available at health facilities to meet patient demands. Continuing the rollout of and provision of technical support to the existing eLMIS will enable a seamless transition from the activities being done under predecessor projects. Establishing public private partnerships to promote sustainability and eSCMIS transition to the government are key objectives in Zambia during this 5-year project plan. The eSCMIS Project will work closely with and in support of the Ministry of Health.
The Director Technical will assist in providing overall management and strategic vision for project technical activities. S/he will liaise internally with all technical staff at the central and provincial levels and with the broad community externally to meet project objectives. S/he will be responsible for new concept development and technical innovations to ensure the MIS approaches employed are best in class. S/he will strategically use project data for decision-making and ensure the project learning agenda contributes to continuous improvement and knowledge management, through dissemination of project lessons, successes, and innovations. Overall, s/he will be responsible for institutionalizing technical oversight of all MIS solutions with local organizations spanning both public and private sectors to ensure system strengthening efforts are sustained.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the senior management team (SMT) and assist the COP in providing the overall vision and technical strategic direction for the project.
- Provide technical oversight, quality accountability and management by facilitating the development and execution of technical team objectives, expectations, goals and activities.
- Provide overall leadership and supervision on all technical activities of the project.
- Work across teams to lead the IMPACT team structure for ensuring a data analysis culture throughout the MOH supply chain system.
- Provide technical oversight, quality accountability and management of the IT and M&E teams by facilitating the development and execution of team objectives, expectations, goals and activities. Hold routine team meetings to review tasks, timeframes, priorities, challenges, etc. Provide coaching, mentoring and support to supervisees.
- Work closely with the COP to envision data use and management in the project and implement this project-wide.
- Work closely with the data analytics team to envision data use and management in the project and implement this project-wide.
- Work closely with GRZ counterparts to establish public private partnerships to promote sustainability and eSCMIS transition.
- Assist the COP and DCOP in developing and updating annual work plans and meeting project deliverables.
- Work closely with the finance team to develop and monitor budgets
- Stay abreast of global, regional, and national MIS initiatives that support project objectives.
- Identify, share, and apply eSCMIS innovations when appropriate through regular discussion with project technical teams.
- Represent the project at various technical meetings with other cooperating agencies, collaborating partners, senior government officials and/or donor agencies. Participate in various working groups, as required.
- Directly supervise staff, including development of individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks, development and documentation of professional development plans, and bi-annual supervision review meetings and annual performance appraisals.
- Responsible for implementing and adhering to JSH-Z’s personnel and fraud management policies
- Perform other duties as assigned by the COP and other senior staff.
- Advanced degree (Masters or higher) in information systems or related field
- At least 5 years experience work with eLMIS
- Excellent client-facing and communication skills
- Experience working with senior government officials
- Experience with USAID, USAID-funded projects, and other donor agencies
- Experience in logistics/supply chain management and/or public health commodities
- Experience working in Zambia and legal residency
- At least ten years of experience in Information Systems five of which should be in the private or public sector logistics in developing countries
- At least three years of project management experience, supervisory experience or equivalent leadership/management experience
- Knowledge of and experience working with Open Source databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL, Open Source programming languages such as Java and Python
- Proven experience in software project, risk, strategic, and change management and in the software development life-cycle
- Supervision and Reporting:
- The Director of Technical will work under the guidance and supervision of the COP.
Method of Application
Send an application via email ONLY to the email below: In the subject line please indicate the position you are applying for; only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.