First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations
- Identify and plan high quality execution of the metallurgical comminution test work (R&D) to optimize performance and manage external service providers of test work
- Contribute directly to the production of sectional, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the Front End Metallurgical team;
- Identify potential improvement test work through the personal inspection of plant condition and performance
- Drive crusher and mill wear linings design improvements with suppliers for life and metallurgical performance.
- Coordinate mill liner performance evaluations with engineering and suppliers for change out predictions through inspections, wear measurements and mill scans
- Drive development and continuous improvement aspects around mill expert control for the different ore competencies treated
- Maintain a user-friendly, exhaustive and up-to-date database of all test-work;
- Review comminution metallurgical test-work, circuit survey procedures and develop new procedures as required to support process development initiatives;
- Manage the interaction with Mining, Geology, Engineering, Processing operations on process performance and improvement projects.
- Ensure the Comminution metallurgical team are adequately resourced to perform their duties.
- Contribute to the annual Technical section budget/forecasts;
- Control and reduce operational costs;
- Implement FQM Way culture – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven;”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent Technical.
Qualification and Experience:
- Holder of a degree in Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering or related
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience, long-term comminution circuit improvements in mineral processing plants a must, preferably at Senior metallurgist level.
- Experience with highly automated large diameter SAG/Ball Mill circuits.
- Experience in modern high throughput copper sulphide concentrator plant.
- Self motivated, positive attitude towards learning, good communication skills, able to read and write
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability
- Good cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, bottlenecks and implementing metallurgical testing
- Affinity to supervise technical research, direct and train metallurgical engineers and technicians
- Strong understanding of complex metallurgical information, process improvement and control strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner
- Computer fluency is a must.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- English language fluency.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: