Purpose of the Position
To provide overall leadership to the Advocacy & Communications department in support of WV Zambia’s National Office strategy, objectives and aspirations.
Develop an integrated Advocacy & Communications implementation plan that strongly positions WV Zambia’s “voice,” policy positions, reputation, and influence to internal and external stakeholders (government, media, private sector, academia, health/water/education/livelihoods sectors, non-governmental organizations and the WVI Partnership).
Communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality spiritual life that is an example to others.
Advocacy and External Engagement
- Lead Advocacy campaigns on behalf of World Vision, with particular focus on “It Takes a World to End Violence Against Children,” including the continued roll out of WV Zambia’s campaign theme of “Ending Child Marriage.”
- These should be in alignment with World Vision’s global campaign, zonal themes as well as be integrated with other sectoral and programme activities and should be especially integrated and aligned with local fundraising (Resource Acquisition department).
- Lead World Vision Zambia’s national government engagement, representing WV Zambia in key internal and external forums, with a particular focus on Ministry of Gender, Ministry of Education, and key UN agencies as well as national and international NGOs.
- This engagement should be done with analysis of current government policies, spending, partner engagement with a plan/strategy to change some of the policies, resourcing, and/or implementation.
- Ensure successful implementation of Social Accountability programming, using World Vision’s Citizen Voice and Action (CVA) methodology.
- This must be co-owned with the Integrated Programs department.
- Enhance local-to-national links for evidence-based advocacy by drawing upon evidence from data generated through Citizen Voice and Action methodology.
- Ensure that Zambia influence and participate effectively in cross-sector regional, partnerships and multi-stakeholder platforms for child well-being in line with the new opportunities of the SDGs.
- Provide oversight and support to the development and implementation of external engagement plans at zonal levels to ensure consistency and coordination.
- These should be included in the annual operational plans of programs and thus should be coordinated with Integrated Programs departmental leadership.
- Ensure humanitarian advocacy is supported, activity is integrated at all levels, and includes appropriate focus on child protection, protection of civilians, protection of humanitarian access, etc.
Communications and Branding
- Develop and implement a communications and branding plan which supports World Vision Zambia’s national strategy.
- Develop branding framework and implementation plan that raises awareness of WV Zambia’s work, concurrently strengthening the organization’s advocacy capability.
- External Communications – Increase WV Zambia’s reputation and coverage with Zambian and international media.
- This should be done through engagement with print, TV and radio media outlets, social media, the webpage and other capacity statements targeted toward specific audience.
- Internal Communications – Working with the People & Culture (HR) department develop robust internal communications that engage all WV Zambia staff to support the desired organizational culture.
- Create and coordinate mechanisms to engage supporters through the development of communication, online engagement, reports, research, field visits, etc. that address our donors’ drivers for supporting Zambian children.
- Lead the development of high quality communication materials (e.g. annual report, capacity statements, brochures, maps, PowerPoints, etc.) to engage a broad range of stakeholders.
- Implement both internal and external crises communication mechanisms to protect WV Zambia’s reputation.
- This should be done as part of, and in coordination with the rest of, the organization’s Crisis Management Team
- Work with the Resource Acquisition department to develop advocacy-related capacity statements, funding proposals, and other external facing statements with a particular focus on corporate entities.
- Develop advocacy and communications resources to strengthen child-focused and issue-based advocacy aligned with identified priorities and public messaging.
Donor Liaison Team
- Lead Donor Liaison staff – Work closely with key Support Offices, and internally, to create unique experiences for donors who visit the organization’s program that convey the development issues affecting children and lead to resource development.
- Lead, manage, mentor staff of the Advocacy & Communications department, ensuring goals and objectives are implemented effectively.
- Lead the team to implement innovative advocacy & communication approaches while learning from existing programs.
- Support the organizational governance (i.e. Board) and Senior Leadership Team with clear communication materials.
- Support the National Director to serve as a key spokesperson to externally promote justice for children on WV’s key priority issues.
- Facilitate a process of continuous learning on appropriate communication systems, processes and tools as appropriate for WV Zambia.
- Identify capacity gaps in the National Office’s advocacy and communications work and then address these gaps with the Senior Leadership Team and Regional Office.
- Champion/facilitate advocacy and communications training within the National and Project Offices.
- Perform other duties as required by the National Director.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or higher in Advocacy, Communications, Public Relations or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in advocacy or international communications in a leadership role; with experience in leading and managing teams.
- Strategy development, business plan execution, and project implementation.
- Government engagement leading to change or improved execution of government policies.
- Experience in leading the development of a wide array of communication materials such as publications, video segments, web and other modern media.
- Expert level understanding of Child Rights Policy, Sustainable Development Goals and Convention on the rights of the Child.
- Significant field experience and understanding in International Development and /or Humanitarian context.
- Fully member of the Public Relations/Journalism/media coordinating body in Zambia, as required.
Other skills, Competencies/Attributes:
- Excellent experience in managing people in a diverse cross-cultural environment
- Strong stakeholder engagement and networking skills
- Demonstration of well- developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Substantive experience working in the INGO and Government sector dealing with multiple advocacy and communication requirements.
- Proven record of publications and research papers.
- Strong understanding of WV mission and vision including partnership standards.
- Working with technical staff to publish research papers.
- Capacity building of a range of stakeholders in advocacy and communication approaches and methodologies.
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Office-based with frequent travel to the field
- 70% at the office
- 30% travel required
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: