First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of the position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Carry out Rehabilitation repair works on Converters; Replacement of converter mouth parts including Stack base frames, Mouth liners and tuyere line repairs
- Examine boilers, pressure vessels, tanks, or vats to locate defects, such as leaks, weak spots, or defective sections, so that they can be repaired.
- Bolt or arc weld pressure vessel structures and parts together, using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Inspect assembled vessels or individual components, such as tubes, fittings, valves, controls, or auxiliary mechanisms, to locate any defects.
- Lay out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal, and locate and mark bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.
- Shape seams, joints, and irregular edges of pressure vessel sections and structural parts in order to attain specified fit of parts, using cutting torches, hammers, files, and metalworking machines.
- Bell, bead with power hammers, or weld pressure vessel tube ends to ensure leakproof joints.
- Lay out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal and locate and mark bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.
- Install manholes, handholes, taps, tubes, valves, gauges, or feed-water connections in drums of water tube boilers, using hand tools.
- Study blueprints to determine locations, relationships, or dimensions of parts.
- Straighten or reshape bent pressure vessel plates or structure parts, using hammers, jacks, or torches.
Other duties as instructed by the Supervisor
- Minimum of a Grade twelve (Grade 12)
- Craft Certificate from recognised institution
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience as a Boilermaker in a Plant environment
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Standby and overtime where required
- Exposure to noise / dust/gas fumes and heat
- Working at heights
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: