The Senior Laboratory and Supply Chain Advisor will provide technical expertise in the areas of laboratory services and supply chain management for an upcoming Department of Defense (DOD) – funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The Sr. Lab and Supply Chain Advisor will operate under the leadership of the Program Director and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of the project’s lab and supply chain activities. The project aims to reduce the number of new HIV infections and other sexually transmitted infections among active members of the Zambia Defense Force (ZDF), their families and the civilian communities served by the Zambian military and to support the continuum of care and treatment for those infected with HIV.
The Laboratory and Supply Chain Advisor will be based out of the project’s central office in Lusaka, but will travel regularly to field sites across Zambia.
This position is contingent upon award from DOD.
Zambian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To direct, manage and coordinate medical and non-medical supplies in order to ensure compliance to policies, rules, systems and procedures of therapeutic drug management at ZDF health facilities.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Monitor and ensures adherence to rules and regulations, as contained in relevant pharmaceutical Acts, on the management and use of drugs by ZDF health facilities to curb any misuse of drugs and facilitate development and implementation of effective drug control systems
- Monitor and provide technical support in the distribution of drugs and medical supplies for all ZDF health facilities
- Identify training needs and secure training and development activities, including providing on the job support to pharmaceutical personnel in ZDF health facilities
- Facilitate implementation of drug use indicators and other commodities such as HIV Test Kits, including pattern of consumption and establish reordering levels to avoid long run-out times
- Develop and maintain a database of drug usage for all ZDF health facilities and use this information for determining future requirements and distribution patterns
- Represent Jhpiego/ZDF in all discussions (local and international fora) related to developments in the pharmaceutical industry and contribute to formulation of policy by government
- Make recommendations, with appropriate MOH and IP counterparts, regarding commodity management and distribution of PEPFAR supported medicines or commodities, such as treatment regimens, laboratory reagents, equipment, male circumcision (MC) kits and TB, as well as coordinating and advising on commodity management and distribution policy across USG health programs.
- Coordinate with other PEPFAR projects working in supply chain strengthening, pharmaceutical services and several other programs that manage the procurement of a wide variety of health commodities. Providing technical assistance and support for collaboration on commodity projects managed by other PEPFAR implementing partners.
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, curricula, and/or supervisory systems needed for implementation of the project to meet the needs of the donor and the Government of Zambia
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work closely with the Program Director on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design and implement a plan to track data/results to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation and contribute to reports of project activities and results to the donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports, and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches within their technical areas of expertise
- Maintain excellent relationships with the donor and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses to requests
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with the donor, government of Zambia, and other stakeholders, to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- Degree in Bio-Medical Sciences, and Masters in a related field
- Registered with the Health Professionals Council of Zambia (HPCZ) with a current practicing license for 2020
- Membership with the Biomedical Society of Zambia (BSZ)
- 7+ years of experience working in a large clinical or research laboratory and implementing and/or providing technical assistance in one or more of the following areas: Laboratory services; supply chain management; HIV testing services; and/or HIV treatment services
- 5+ years of experience working in Zambia in procurement and supply chain management, or other relevant pharmacy or health commodities logistics sector
- Experience working in a donor funded project an added advantage
- Prior experience with relevant current routine HIV laboratory procedures including viral load, PCR, hematological, biochemical and microbiological analyses etc Prior experience in training, mentoring, and supervision of laboratory professionals
- Experience working with priority health programs (HIV/TB), as well as supply chain and pharmaceutical management systems specific to HIV/TB
- nowledge of technical and programmatic approaches in public health sector procurement and supply management required, including all aspects of supply chain and its role in health sector programming.
- Demonstrated capabilities in capacity building at the organizational and individual levels, and experience working effectively with the government of Zambia
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; performance and quality improvement; and monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the healthcare system in Zambia, particularly the public health system
- Familiarity with PEPFAR’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with donors, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
- Experience working with the ZDF and/or other military populations/facilities preferred
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: