John Snow Health Zambia (JSH-Z) with support from USAID through the eSCMIS Project will continue assisting the Government of the Republic of Zambia in the rollout of a next-generation electronic supply chain management information system (eSCMIS). The eSCMIS Project aims to increase the use of health services, decrease disease burden and increase quality of life through ensuring appropriate quantities and quality of health commodities are available at health facilities to meet patient demands. Continuing the rollout of and provision of technical support to the existing eLMIS will enable a seamless transition from the activities being done under predecessor projects. Establishing public private partnerships to promote sustainability and eSCMIS transition to the government are key objectives in Zambia during this 5-year project plan. The eSCMIS Project will work closely with and in support of the Ministry of Health.
JSH-Z seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the position of Procurement Specialist to be based in Lusaka, Zambia. The Procurement Specialist will be responsible for a variety of local and international procurements for both operations and programmatic, ensuring compliance with all donor requirements. The Procurement Specialist will report to the Director Operations and help in achieving the project’s goals and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct supervision to the Procurement Officer, including development of individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks, development and documentation of professional development plans, and conducting performance appraisals with supervisees.
- Prepare tender documents; undertake tender evaluations, placements and management of contracts.
- Ensure all purchase orders are raised in compliance with JSH-Z policies and ensuring that all applicable FAR guidelines are followed and all required waivers and documentation are in place.
- Maintain auditable records for all procured items which include all supporting documentation: FPRs, FPQs, bid evaluations with memorandum of negotiation, purchase orders, invoices and proofs of delivery.
- Act as a focal point of interaction with the eSCMIS Project backstopping team in all areas concerning procurement
- Work with JSH-Z and JSI staff on how to pre-qualify vendors for some procurements (e.g. quotes from hotels valid for 6 to 12 months)
- Work with staff on procurement guidelines, ensuring that staff develop the capacity to follow all applicable procurement rules correctly.
- Following verification of satisfactory receipt of goods or services, timely submission of payment complete documentation JSH-Z Finance
- Provide monthly cash flow needs for local procurement to the JSH-Z Finance team in line with respective team budgets to ensure timely payment of local suppliers.
- Monitor supplier performance and provide input into supplier management process
- Prepare annual value-added taxes (VAT) report.
- Produce periodic status reports on procurement as required by JSH-Z, eSCMIS & USAID.
- Implement and adhere to JSH-Z’s personnel and fraud management policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director Operations or other senior staff.
- Diploma or higher in procurement, logistics or any related field and 5 years of experience in procurement of goods and services.
- Sound knowledge of USAID procurement regulations.
- Understanding of strategic sourcing.
- General understanding of supply chain including planning and inventory.
- Strong representational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a detail-oriented person with good organizational skills.
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills in English.
- Proficiency in common computer packages such as Word and Excel and familiar with the use of databases.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork.
- Experience working with an NGO preferred.
- Supervision and Reporting:
- The Procurement Specialist will work under the guidance and supervision of the Director Operations.
Method of Application
Send an application via email ONLY to . In the subject line please indicate the position you are applying for; only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.