The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Zambia Country Office seeks to recruit a proficient and self-motivated individual in the position Communications Coordinator to be based in Lusaka.
Context and Major Function
Guided by our vision of ensuring that the environment, natural resources and biodiversity in Zambia are secured and sustainably managed for people and nature, the mission of the WWF Zambia is to lead the development and delivery of WWF Zambia’s Four Conservation Goals related to People, Wildlife, Forests and Freshwater.
The communications coordinator role is established to support coordination of all WWF Zambia communications work across the various conservation programmes implemented by WWF Zambia. The position is a key position for facilitating day to day coordination of all communications outputs as per programme work plans and budgets. In addition, the role is key to marketing of the WWF Brand in Zambia and beyond to support brand marketing and fundraising efforts – including the establishment of a string media network for conservation in Zambia, creation of promotional materials for brand recognition, technical supervision of creation of communications assets for WWF Zambia to support conservation campaigns and fundraising efforts, supporting to the development of annual work plans and budgets for communications work for WWF Zambia and marketing the WWF brand in Zambia.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination of all inputs for developing annual communications plans and budget for the ZCO
- In liaison with the communications manager, plan and implement conservation campaigns including network specific campaigns such as Earth Hour
- Plan all digital content for social media and ensure all platforms are actively updated using the approved plan and maintain strong presence of WWF Zambia on social media
- Monitor media coverage performance of ZCO and provide Bi-monthly tracking reports to the communications manager
- Mobilize and facilitate the establishment of a media network on conservation that supports media coverage on key issues related to the environment, natural resources and biodiversity.
- With support from the manager, develop clear communications assets to support brand marketing, publicity and fundraising for ZCO
- Take a lead in the designing of key promotional materials for ZCO
- With support of the communications manager, proactively disseminate key study findings to various target audiences
- Support WWF event with appropriate WWF branding using approved network branding guidelines
- Generate content and update the WWF website
- Support review of communications articles for approval
- Generate monthly newsletter for ZCO
- Serves as point of contact for all media queries for ZCO
- Internal: The position works very closely with conservation programmes to deliver cutting edge, technologically appropriate and wide spread communications around WWF Zambia’s work. The Communications Coordinator works with the Fundraising and Marketing department, and is responsible for organizing and overseeing the creation of promotional materials and brand identity.
- External: Interacts with government ministries and departments, media houses, media agents, international and local NGOs/CSOs, private sector, etc.
- A communications coordinator holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, or Journalism.
- A master’s degree in Communications or a related field will be an added advantage.
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in the marketing and communication sector, with credible track records of performance in their previous roles.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills
- Good coordination skills and organizational skills
- Should be detail oriented
- Demonstrates knowledge of website design and html code
- Exhibits proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Power Point, and Outlook
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Good public relations skills and problem solving
- Good supervisory skills
- Good understanding of video production skills
- Ability to do design layouts for publications or newsletters
- Willingness and the embodiment of WWF Global behavioural competencies:
- Strive for Impact «I am results driven. Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact»
- Listen Deeply «I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say»
- Collaborate Openly «I’m a global citizen working for a living planet. I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful. I work across boundaries, openly ask for help and share what I know, both internally and externally»
- Innovate Fearlessly «I take risks to find better solutions. I measure progress and learn from mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same»
- This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
Method of Application
Email a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae clearly indicating the position applied for to the email below. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.