SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development organizational founded in the Netherlands in 1965; and currently maintains a global presence in 30 countries;across Africa, Asia and Latin America. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently undertakes donor funded programming within 100+ districts across the country. As an organisation, SNV focuses on the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors and maintains the belief that no one should have to live in poverty; and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. SNV contributes to programming within the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors by strengthening the capacities of targeted partners and communities at the field level; in order to realize increased skill sets and sustainable performance; reduce poverty levels, expand employment; improve food security; while paying special attention to gender equity, social inclusion of marginalised groups and stakeholder accountability.
Purpose of the job:
The Senior Procurement and Contracts Officer will work under the supervision of the Operations Manager and together with project and administrative staff to ensure timely and compliant procurement of goods and services and tight management of contracts and grants. Following its strategy of localisation, much of SNV project work is implemented with sub-contracted service providers on long term contracts that need to be monitored and managed to ensure appropriate financial controls and reporting procedures are followed and donor requirements met.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all procurement of goods and services in line with SNV and donor policies and procedures
- Draft and issue calls for proposals and applications, invitations to bid, tender documentation, bid comparisons determining procurement mechanisms that will ensure fair and open competition
- Review procurement policies against best practice, SNV, Donor and Government of Zambia requirements and revise and adjust as necessary to ensure SNV is compliant with all relevant rules and regulations
- Review all SNV donor contracts and ensure procurement activities in each project are compliant with donor requirements
- Provide training and oversight to SNV staff and partner organisations on SNV reporting and financial requirements
- Manage and administer all SNV sub-contracts and grants to ensure contractors’ compliance and performance, accurate and timely reporting to SNV systems
- Liaise closely with project teams to predict and track procurement requirements ensuring responsive service provision
- Draft and issue all consultancy contracts; purchase orders, MoUs, sub agreements and sub contracts; maintain accurate and complete procurement files
- Lead, manage relationships and motivate the procurement team, partners and relevant stakeholders, plan and assign deliverables and activities to all relevant, review their progress and address deviations in terms of timelines and quality, based on planning, deliverables
- Support Business Development and reduce risks for SNV by reviewing Terms and Conditions for upcoming contracts and advising management on areas of risk, implications and compliance issues.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Academic & professional qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in a related field
- Extensive proven knowledge of procurement practice and procedures
- At least 5 years in a procurement and contracts post in Zambia
- Experience with procurement and contracts administration under UN, EU or US government funded contracts or agreements
- Additional Information
Competencies, Capabilities and Attributes: (Skills/behavioural (Special Training or Competence):
- Organisation skills and time management – professional approach to personal time planning and respect for deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues and outside contacts
- Computer literate with high degree of proficiency and productivity
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: