Our client, Morehouse School of Medicine, is looking for an eligible and qualified individual to fill the position of Data Management Specialist (DMS).
The Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) is a Historically Black College and University (HBCU) based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA and is part of the HBCU Global Health Consortium (GHC). The HBCU GHC consists of four historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States: MSM, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU), Meharry Medical College (MMC), and Howard University (HU). Funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), HIV/AIDS Bureau, Division of Global HIV Programs, the HBCU GHC project is a multi-year initiative.
The overall aim of the MSM project in Zambia is to improve patient outcomes by addressing the 95-95-95 cascade and improve HIV testing rates, patient retention, anti-retroviral treatment and viral load testing/ reporting through: 1.) Clinic Workflow Re-design 2.) Optimizing Referral Systems for better Care Coordination, and 3.) Utilizing Digital Technology to improve Data Management. The Project is being implemented in Chilenje, Chawama, Kanyama, and Matero First Level Hospitals in Lusaka, Zambia.
This is a Lusaka based position and salary will be commensurate with experience. The DMS will work closely with the US and Zambia-based Project Leadership team to implement the project work-plan. The DMS will be responsible for ensuring that the project work-plan is implemented on time and on target. The DMS will also work closely with Ministry of Health (MOH) officials and staff at their assigned health facility. The DMS will also liaise with United States-based representative at the Morehouse School of Medicine.
- The tasks listed below are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- Support the Ministry of Health with sending appointment reminders to patients on anti-retro-viral treatment using an electronic patient engagement platform
- Extract data from health facility electronic medical system using computer programming language scripts on a routine basis
- Perform data quality checks on facility data to identify areas requiring quality improvement on a routine basis
- Apply problem solving and analytical skills to implement and evaluate quality improvement projects to improve service delivery
- Present data management updates at internal and external meetings
- Interact with Health care workers and other Stakeholders to obtain data requirements for new and existing applications
- Generate weekly program reports for assigned health facilities using Microsoft Office applications
- Support development and enhancement of patient referral and data collection systems
- Manage data according to national and MSM policies
- Oversee implementation of IT solutions to support project operations whilst keeping the project leadership informed on progress.
- Independently manage project assets according to US government and MSM policies.
- Support conference abstract or manuscript development activities
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree with significant course work in computer science/ studies, computer information science/ studies, bio-statistics, statistics or equivalent areas is required
- Optimally, at least 3 years of clinical or public health experience in implementing or evaluating HIV/AIDS programs or other relevant public health programs required
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal, verbal and written communication in English, presentation and facilitation skills required
- Demonstrated willingness to learn required
- Demonstrated experience working in the field of data management required
- Demonstrated experience and skilled in the use of data analysis software required
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required
- Knowledge and experienced in the use of teleconference software is required
- Demonstrated ability to resolve routine IT issues required
- Experience in working effectively and directly with MOH health facility staff is highly desired.
- Demonstrated superb problem-solving skills required
- Knowledge or experienced in implementing data-driven quality improvement and assurance projects and processes in public health or clinical settings highly desired
- Experience in extracting or entering data in Smart-care is highly desired
- Experience with evaluation public health program is highly desired
- Experience working with an international agency or implementing partner highly desired
- Knowledge of PEPFAR Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (MER) treatment indicators highly desired.
Method of Application
If interested in this career opportunity, kindly send ONLY your CV and a cover/ application letter to Zambian time. Please do not submit additional materials. Kindly put “MSM DMS Application” in the email subject line. Applicants who fail to follow these application instructions will be disqualified from further consideration.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates that have followed these specific instructions will be considered and contacted. Please note that if you have not heard from us by the 29th of May 2020, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. However, your CV will be kept in our database for any suitable positions that might arise in the future.