The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organisation established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS partners to Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters, including epidemics.
Currently, ZRCS is part of a consortium of actors that has joined hands with Ministry of Health through a multisectoral approach, in responding to COVID-19. To enhance coordination and management of ZRCS response to the pandemic, the National Society hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up the following positions
Reporting to: Health and Care Manager
Workplace & Conditions
Based in Lusaka with frequent travel to the field
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, initially 6 months with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding
- Overall focal point for all COVID-19 related interventions including; implementation, monitoring and evaluation of COVID-19 activities
- Manage and support the COVID-19 team; mentor, guide and coordinate all activities related to COVID-19
- Responsible for proposal development and timely reporting to donors
- Key focal point for all external coordination mechanisms related to COVID-19.
- Project Management
- Manage COVID-19 response activities, alongside relevant staff and volunteers in order to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- React quickly to crisis and organise and /or implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a COVID-19 contingency plans and other protocols and strategies in line with IFRC guidelines.
- Continuously monitor and supervise COVID-19 response activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact. Provide input into the integration of Community Engagement and Accountability
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable time-frames and formats.
- Participate in the development of interventions and new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps related to COVID-19.
- Reach out to other actors to find those who can respond to needs which go beyond resources of Zambia Red Cross Society
- Other duties assigned by the health and Care Manager
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and proactively engage in COVID-19 response coordination meetings and working groups at national and, field level. Provide summary notes off all external meetings for relevant internal stakeholders.
- In coordination with Health and Care Manager, develop and deliver training on COVID-19 response to volunteers and staff.
- Proactively network with clusters and health and WASH agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the response team including Senior Management Team, and other support teams (Logistics, Human Resources, Finance, Volunteers).
- Provide updates during various meetings such as Incident Management Meetings (IMS)
- In coordination with the Health and Care Manager, assess the need for and contribute towards the design and implementation of in-country COVID-19-related staff health protocols and procedures.
- Ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted on time
- Support the logistics activities of health, WASH staff, livelihood, in relation to the purchasing of COVID-19 related supplies, etc. Liaise with Logistics Officer to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to ZRCS, donor and IFRC guidelines
- Contribute towards setting objectives of COVID-19-related health/WASH/livelihood assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future plans and changes based on the evolution of the pandemic
- Improve the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Capacity building
- Train volunteers and relevant staff on various aspects of COVID-19 response in line with established SOPs.
- Compile and manage, and make available, relevant information related to COVID-19 for staff access.
- Post graduate degree in either, Disaster and Humanitarian Services or Public Health. Under graduates in the related field with extensive experience may be considered.
- Strong project Management experience and skills is desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- 6 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 2-5-year humanitarian management experience, including field level public health and livelihood response. Experience in training and supervising teams and participating in national level coordination.
- Good communications skills
- Team player
- Consultative leadership skills
- Community mobilisation skills
- Knowledge on humanitarian principles
- Capacity building skills
- Reporting skills
- Financial management skills
- Zambia Red Cross volunteers who meet desired qualifications are encouraged to apply
- The subject of applications for this vacancy should be marked ‘’RESPONSE COORDINATOR’’
Method of Application
To apply, please do send your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match the required competencies addressed to the Secretary General via email to the email below:
And no late submissions shall be accepted.
Zambia Red Cross Society is and equal opportunity employer
ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED.