The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organisation established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS partners to Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters, including epidemics.
Currently, ZRCS is part of a consortium of actors that has joined hands with Ministry of Health through a multisectoral approach, in responding to COVID-19. To enhance coordination and management of ZRCS response to the pandemic, the National Society hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up the following positions
Reporting to: Disaster Management Manager
- Workplace & Conditions
- Based in Lusaka with frequent travel to the field
- Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
- As soon as possible. Full time, initially 6 months with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funds
- Hands on implementation of livelihood interventions related to COVID-19 pandemic including; planning, monitoring and evaluation of related activities
- Support the COVID-19 response team; mentor, guide and coordinate all activities related to COVID-19
- Participate on proposal development and timely reporting to donors
- Project Management
- Spearhead the mainstreaming of COVID-19 prevention and response measures in the ongoing livelihood and food security interventions being carried out by the National Society
- Support the documentation, monitoring and reporting on all COVID-19 related activities in livelihood and food security programming
- In liaison with field project teams and Cash Transfer focal point, support the integration of COVID-19 measures in emergency cash transfer and livelihood programming, including promotion of climate smart agriculture interventions
- Spearhead the training of staff and volunteers in livelihood related programming
- Attend coordination meetings and providing updates to the National Society Weekly Incident Management Team
- Providing weekly updates to the Emergency Operations Centre and field teams
- Participate in the development and periodic review of the National Society’s COVID-19 contingency Plan, Business Continuity Plan and related Plans of Action
- Tracking national and Southern Africa regional developments on food security and livelihood and in the context of COVID-19
- Provide technical support to field teams in the integration of COVID-19 in project activities
- Support budget holders’ in COVID-19 activity budget tracking and requisitions
- Monitoring the implementation of COVID-19 activities in ongoing programmes and documenting the pandemic’s impacts on livelihood and food security;
- Initiate and participate in COVID-19 oriented livelihood surveys
- Recommend contextualised response measures at national and local levels
- Create or support existing community level coordination structures for successful project implementation and sustainability
- Ensure adherence to sphere standards and IFRC guidelines in the provision of services and goods
- Internalise and apply at all times the fundamental principles of the Red Cross movement
Communication and Coordination:
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Liaise with Ministry of Community Development and Social Services in profiling and targeting for livelihood services
- Participate and proactively engage in coordination meetings and working groups on livelihood thematic issues
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the response teams at HQ and field level
- Provide timely updates to the weekly emergency operations updates held with HQ
- Contribute to the National Society’s input to the Southern Africa Livelihood and Food Security Network’s monthly regional updates.
- Ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted on time
- Support the logistics activities of the field project team in Liaison with the HQ based Logistics Officer.
Quality Management/Project Design:
- Ensure project implementation in accordance with established ZRCS, donor and IFRC guidelines
- Undertake project monitoring and post-distribution monitoring activities
- Ensure mainstreaming of and adherence to cross-cutting issues including inclusion, Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse as well as community engagement and accountability
- Improve the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Train volunteers and target groups and relevant staff on various aspects of livelihood and food security
- Compile, document and periodically share relevant livelihood and food security information
Qualifications, Experience and Desired Competences:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised University in Agricultural based sciences, Development Studies, Social Work, Disaster Management, Natural Sciences or other related Social Science disciplines
- Post graduate or combination of qualifications in the afore mentioned field is a plus
- At least 5 five years’ practical experience in related field with extensive exposure to livelihood and food security issues in Zambia’s agro-ecological zones I and II
- Strong research skills, encompassing both qualitative and quantitative competences is strongly recommended
- Practical familiarity with GIS applications is an added advantage
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Experience in training/ mentoring/ coaching volunteers and staff.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles
- Red Cross volunteers that meet the prescribed credentials are encouraged to apply.
- The subject of applications for this vacancy should be marked
‘’RESPONSE OFFICER – LIVELIHOOD’’
Method of Application
To apply, please do send your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match the required competencies addressed to the Secretary General via email to the email below:
And no late submissions shall be accepted.
Zambia Red Cross Society is and equal opportunity employer
ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED.