The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organisation established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS partners to Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters, including epidemics.
Currently, ZRCS is part of a consortium of actors that has joined hands with Ministry of Health through a multisectoral approach, in responding to COVID-19. To enhance coordination and management of ZRCS response to the pandemic, the National Society hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up the following positions
Reporting to: Communication Manager
Workplace & Conditions
Based in Lusaka with frequent travel to the field
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, initially 6 months with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funds
- To write and distribute content to promote the Organisations brand and all activities related to COVID-19 response.
- To be a liaison between the Organisation, the Public and the media, to ensure the activities of the Society, in response to COVID-19 are highlighted.
- Support the production of communication materials (e.g. briefing notes, images, videos, Web pages etc.)
- Follow up on the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and oversee the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout and graphic design etc.)
- Maintain an up-to-date documentation centre for communication materials including publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources etc.
- Support and implement the Program Communication Strategy Plan of Action effectively, facilitate and execute Social Behavioural change, in support of efficient & effective Program delivery.
- Development of culturally relevant program communication materials.
- Assist in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials for both web-based and traditional media, as appropriate.
- Build strong partnerships with community groups, leaders, media and other partners in the community and civil society and enhance to promote participation in social and behavioural changes, supportive of program goals.
- Development of human interest stories, videos and briefs showcasing the impact of ZRCS work, on the ground, are developed in collaboration with Program Managers, to enhance ZRCS resource mobilisation efforts
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, support the establishment of ZRCS advocacy networks at National level.
- Maintain and update media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media
- Support relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Conducting perception surveys.
- Assist in collaborating with the media through activities such as organising project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilising both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage etc.)
- Production of weekly Communication reports on relevant activities being conducted by the Branches and by the various Projects.
- Development of content for ZRCS social media pages, such as website, twitter, face-book and online newsletter.
- Prepare jingles on BCC, hand-washing on COVID-19 for the public
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field. Candidates with a University Degree in related field with substantial Communication experience will be considered.
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant experience with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programs.
- Practical professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media, or interactive digital media
- Experience in communication for development is a plus
- Field work experience and knowledge/familiarity with emergency situations is considered an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Core Competencies
- Ethical and of good integrity
- Organisational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgement
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Team player
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Development/program skills particularly those that are pertinent to ZRCS strategic priorities.
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Developmental Programs and Projects
- Ability to develop communication for development tools
- Knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
- Ability to maintain networks and partnerships with ZRCS agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organisational interests and competencies
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
- Red Cross volunteers that meet the prescribed credentials are encouraged to apply.
- The subject of applications for this vacancy should be marked ‘’COMMUNICATION OFFICER’’
Method of Application
To apply, please do send your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match the required competencies addressed to the Secretary General via email to the email below:
And no late submissions shall be accepted.
Zambia Red Cross Society is and equal opportunity employer
ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED.