The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organisation established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS partners to Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters, including epidemics.
Currently, ZRCS is part of a consortium of actors that has joined hands with Ministry of Health through a multisectoral approach, in responding to COVID-19. To enhance coordination and management of ZRCS response to the pandemic, the National Society hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up the following positions
Reporting to: Health and Care Manager
- Workplace & Conditions
- Based in Lusaka with frequent travel to the field
- Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
- As soon as possible. Full time, initially 6 months with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funds
- Focus on COVID-19 response
- In consultation with the Health and Care Manager, plan, budget, and ensure effective implementation of hygiene and sanitation promotion activities as an integral part of the COVID-19 response
- Conduct assessments of barriers, enabling factors and effective communication methods/channels to instigate changes in key behaviour and develop, design, modify or adopt culturally appropriate media, messages and IEC materials to promote sanitation and hygiene behaviour.
- In collaboration with other departments lead capacity development for staff and volunteers in the implementation of hygiene promotion in COVID-19 response, by using/designing participatory approaches for sanitation and hygiene promotion, and ensure their sound employment to improve program quality and impact.
- Together with other multi-disciplinary team members, participate in conducting detailed WASH assessment, particularly focusing on curbing further spread of COVID-19.
- Ensure effective integration of sanitation and hygiene promotion strategies in water supply development, operation and maintenance and, sensitise beneficiary communities on the observance of a safe water management chain.
- Be responsible for initiating and following up procurement and utilisation of materials and other resources required for implementing sanitation and hygiene promotion activities
- Lead implementation of project innovations and learning components like the promotion of user friendly hand-washing facilities in the communities, evaluate impact, document learning and propose strategies for scale-up.
- Participate in conducting assessments for and, implementation of WASH interventions during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Identify appropriate point of use hand-washing products in the COVID-19 situation and distribute by providing information on how to use to the beneficiaries.
- Conduct post-distribution monitoring on distributed WASH NFIs including point of use hand washing products.
- Promote integration and coordination with other partner agencies working in the sanitation and hygiene promotion sector.
- When assigned by Health and Care Manager, represent ZRCS at sector and cluster coordination meetings and provide prompt feedback
- Submit weekly and monthly program activity plans to the Health and Care Manager
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- In consultation with PMER department, ensure regular monitoring of program activities to determine the success of interventions and recommend changes to Health and Care Manager
- Support the Health and Care Manager to design and develop Knowledge, Practices and Coverage (KPC) survey protocols, participating in carrying out baseline and evaluation KPC surveys to determine sector performance
- Monitor hygiene and sanitation promotion activities and behaviour change in the communities by facilitating rapid assessments and evaluate program performance and progress towards achieving targets.
- Degree in Environmental Health Science, Rural Water Supply and Sanitation, Health Promotion, Community Health or related field with at least 4 years’ experience. A diploma in the above fields with 6 years of excellent performance.
- Two – Four years’ experience in Sanitation and hygiene promotion in humanitarian, NGO or Government organisations.
- Proven knowledge of; CLTSH, BCC, CEA and PHAST.
- Computer literacy in MS Word, Excel and Publisher is a must.
- Fluency in English both spoken and written.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in stressful conditions, with limited access to services, sometimes insecure and limited movements
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a highly results-oriented work culture
- Knowledge, skill and experience in participatory methods for sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Red Cross volunteers that meet the prescribed credentials are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
To apply, please do send your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match the required competencies addressed to the Secretary General via email to the email below:
And no late submissions shall be accepted.
Zambia Red Cross Society is and equal opportunity employer
ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED.