John Snow Health Zambia (JSH) with support from USAID through the eSCMIS Project will continue assisting the Government of the Republic of Zambia in the rollout of a next-generation electronic supply chain management information system (eSCMIS). The eSCMIS Project aims to increase the use of health services, decrease disease burden and increase quality of life through ensuring appropriate quantities and quality of health commodities are available at health facilities to meet patient demands. Continuing the rollout of and provision of technical support to the existing eLMIS will enable a seamless transition from the activities being done under predecessor projects. Establishing public private partnerships to promote sustainability and eSCMIS transition to the government are key objectives in Zambia during this 5-year project plan. The eSCMIS Project will work closely with and in support of the Ministry of Health.
JSH seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the position of Data Analyst to be based in Lusaka, Zambia. The Data Analyst will be the key technical liaison with counterparts with regards to data mining, analysis, interpretation and presentation. The Data Analyst will report to the Director, Data Analysis and Transition and help in achievement of project goals and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify, define and recommend innovative ways to extract and analyse data using statistical methods to generate useful reports.
- Oversee data cleaning and writing necessary SQL queries to extract data from eLMIS for reporting to donors, for M&E and for routine decision making and other program management tasks.
- Work with technical teams and MOH to identify and define specific data needs and regularly update the prioritised list of data analysis needs.
- Work closely with the MIS team to turn data analytics requests into software enhancements; work with the MIS team to test data analytics enhancements in the eLMIS software.
- Work with technical teams to regularly develop innovative data presentations for specific target audiences.
- Provide technical inputs and respond to ad hoc requests for data, analysis, presentations and information.
- Participate in the design and development of project databases; participate in testing and implementation of new applications and/or enhancements and modifications to existing systems.
- Use data to create models that depict trends, make forecasts and extract information for supply chain performance decision making.
- Use data to identify successes and challenges of the supply chain.
- Mentor eSCMIS project staff in data analysis by conducting periodic technical sessions on use of statistical software.
- Support eLMIS transition by building MOH and MSL staffs’ analytics capacity through regular joint data analysis meetings.
- Work closely with IMPACT teams to build skills in data analytics to help make supply chain decisions and changes based on the data analysis.
- Implement and adhere to JSH’s personnel and fraud management policies.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Director, Data Analytics and Transition or other senior staff.
Job skills and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, programming, mathematics or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in generating and analysing data reports; experience working with datasets ingestion, data model creation and building data charts, reports, dashboards, etc.
- Practical experience with different statistical and analytical software packages.
- Ability to independently solve problems and meet strict deadlines for all assigned priorities.
- Analytical skills to work with large amounts of data and analyse it to facilitate decision making.
- Ability to write and clearly present complex findings, both written and orally, to target audiences of varying levels of expertise.
- Database software proficiency i.e. Microsoft Excel, SQL Databases, Microsoft Access; ETL, SSAS and SSIS experience.
- Deep understanding of security as it pertains to data access, scope, and distribution of reports and dashboards.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time in-country to support technical activities to travel internationally, including to the US.
- Supervision and Reporting:
- The Data Analyst will work under the guidance and supervision of the Director, Data Analytics and Transition.
Mode of Application:
Send an application via email ONLY In the subject line please indicate the position you are applying for; only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information.
John Snow, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D