Duration of Contract 1 Year with possibility for extension contingent on performance and funding
Organisational Unit / Duty Station Zambia Red Cross Society – Lusaka Head Office
Immediate Supervisor’s Title Data/M&E Officer
Understand information needs by Zambia Red Cross Society decision makers and translate these into data collection, analysis and GIS products
Identify, review and utilize open geo-data sources and combine these with data collected by Zambia Red Cross Society.
Organise Missing Maps events in Zambia and organise and lead field mapping activities (see missingmaps.org)
Migrate geodata into OpenStreetMap and other data to a Zambia Red Cross Society data repository (such as HDX)
Support Zambia Red Cross Society in using the products, maps, and visualisations provided by the team
Support and guide students and volunteers that work in the team on GIS
- Collecting geo-data from numerous sources to create and share maps and other geo-information products from the data collected,
- Managing data collection toolkit in use by Zambia Red Cross such as Open Data Kit, Open Map Kit, Kobo collect and other toolkits and able to train others in the use
- To maintain and prepare the hardware needed for data collection,
- To train enumerators for data collection, and to lead them in data collection missions.
- Working closely together with the PMER department in data collection and reporting
- Understanding information needs by Zambia Red Cross decision makers and translate these into data collection, analysis and GIS products
- Identify, review and utilize open geo-data sources and combine these with data collected by Zambia Red Cross Society.
- Organising Missing Maps events in Zambia and organise and lead field mapping activities
- Migrate geo-data into OpenStreetMap and other data to a Zambia Red Cross Society data repository (such as HDX, MASDAP). Editing in Open Street Map, through JOSM and ID-editor
- Support Zambia Red Cross Society in using the products, maps, and visualisations provided by the team
- Support and guide students and volunteers that work in the team on GIS
- Perform GIS spatial data analysis for project interventions and advise staff on the distributions/concentration of interventions for decision making
- Perform GIS data control
- Develop rigorous standards for all data collected such that it can inform national databases and creation of hazards maps
- Lead mapping initiatives integrating primary data from communities and secondary sources of data
- Providing training on basic GIS
- Undertaking GIS data analysis and data conversion
- A University degree in geographical information systems (GIS)
- Track record showing the capacity to use data to improve processes, operations and decision-making.
Skills and experience:
- At least 3 years of professional experience in GIS
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian aid
- Skilled in GIS software such as QGIS, databases such as PostgreSQL
- Skilled in data collection toolkits such as Open Data Kit, Kobocollect and able to train others in the use
- Experienced with editing in OpenStreetMap, through JOSM and ID-editor
- Excellent command of English language (written and verbally).
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Self confidence
- Strong listening and feedback skills
- Being able to communicate clearly and concisely (written and verbally)
- Being trustworthy.
- Zambia Red Cross Society volunteers who meet desired qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- The subject of applications for this vacancy should be marked ‘GIS OFFICER’
AND NO LATE SUBMISSIONS SHALL BE ACCEPTED.
- Zambia Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer
- ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: