Duration of Contract 1 Year with possibility for extension contingent on performance and funding
Organizational Unit / Duty Station Zambia Red Cross Society – Lusaka Head Office
Immediate Supervisor’s Title Deputy Secretary General/Director Programmes Technical Officer’s Title Data/M&E Officer
The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organisation established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS partners to Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters, including epidemics. To enhance coordination and management of ZRCS operations, the National Society hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up the positions of Data/M&E Officer and GIS Officer.
The Data/M&E Officer position will be based in Lusaka Head Office and will provide overall guidance and support on data collection, analysis, modelling and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)).
The Data/M&E Officer’s main responsibilities will be:
- Analyse data, combining different datasets and designing and delivering information products that are of use to ZRCS projects.
- Work closely with the programme team to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of the data, M&E frameworks and tools.
Job duties and responsibilities
The Data/M&E Officer is responsible for:
A: Data Management
- Understand information needs of FbF, contingency plan, disaster preparedness and response, translate these into data analysis and information products.
- Develop data models for data intensive projects, applying standards where possible.
- Support Zambia Red Cross in using the products, maps, and visualisations provided by the team.
- Review available open – and closed – (secondary) data sources and determine if these can be used instead of collecting new data.
- Review and cleaning of data.
- Analysis of data both small and big. Development of algorithms to combine and analyse these data.
- Support and guide other staff and volunteers that work on data preparedness.
B Monitoring, strengthening monitoring systems:
- Work with the Programme Manager/Project Officers to review monitoring systems and identify gaps in the quality timeliness and use of data
- Develop an approach to strengthen the use of monitoring systems with emphasis on mobile data collection.
- Undertake regular capacity building (with support from the region as required) for NS staff to facilitate their abilities to independently undertake monitoring of their programs, projects and processes
- Ensure the provision and utilisation of monitoring data for decision making by NS ensuring coherence with NS systems for data collection and aggregation.
- Work closely with the Managers, to identify existing monitoring and review mechanisms in the Operation Plan of Action to ensure that reports incorporate accurate and relevant information.
C. Facilitate Evaluation, Research Activities and Manage data:
- Provide technical inputs in the design and carrying out of assessments, evaluation and reviews
- Assist in the setting up and management of databases using user friendly database software (Excel, SPSS, STATA, Epi Info etc).
- Assist with the set-up of tracking tools on the status of reports to ensure timeliness and quality of reports
- Assist in the management of all evaluation internally and support the use of evaluation results within the National Society.
D. Others Duties and Tasks:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the National Society Strategic Goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Position Requirements:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Statistics or Population Studies
- Track record showing the capacity to use data to improve processes, operations and decision-making.
- Professional qualification in M&E is essential
- At least 5 years of professional experience in data analysis
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian aid
- Research skills, to determine the effectiveness of the products and services provided by the team
- Skilled in data analysis software / languages such as R and/or Python
- Proficiency in designing monitoring tools for process, output and outcome monitoring
- Experience in training enumerators in data collection, cleaning, analysis, utilisation and reporting skills
- Experience in developing M&E frameworks and providing trainings on the development and use of M&E frameworks
- Experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal skills working in a multicultural team
- Strong time management and personal organisation skills and result oriented
- Good capacity strengthening, analytical, and report writing skills
- Skilled in use of data analysis packages (Excel, ODK, SPSS, EPI Info, STATA, etc.)
- Good data collection and analytical skills to provide relevant evidence for decision making
- Skills in training and developing NS staff and volunteers’ capacity
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Strong listening and feedback skills
- Being able to communicate clearly and concisely (written and verbally)
- Being trustworthy.
Zambia Red Cross volunteers who meet desired qualifications are encouraged to apply
The subject of applications for this vacancy should be marked ‘DATA/M&E OFFICER’
AND NO LATE SUBMISSIONS SHALL BE ACCEPTED.
Zambia Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer
ZRCS has not engaged any agent for this recruitment and NO APPLICATION FEE IS CHARGED
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: