The Government of the Republic of Zambia acting through the Ministry of General Education (MoGE) has received a credit financing of USD 60 million and has applied for a further credit of US$ 100 million from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Zambia Education Enhancement Project (ZEEP) and the ZEEP additional financing (A F). The ZEEP and ZEEP AF is a five (5) year project being implemented by the Ministry of General Education (MoGE) through the coordination by the Project Implementation Unit based at MOGE national head office. To Enhance Service delivery the ZEEP / ZEEP AF therefore, wishes to recruit a Procurement Specialist as one of the staff in the Project Implementation Unit for an initial period of 1 8 Months from July 2020 up to 31 st June, 2022.
- The Procurement Specialist will report to the Project Coordinator (PIU), under the Director of Planning and Information. S/he and will be responsible for the overall management of procurement under the project S/he will take the lead in procurement activities in the PIU on behalf of the MoGE and ensure timely procurement implementation taking into account the requirement of the World Bank Procurement regulations and those of the Government of the Republic of Zambia. S/he will be directly responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide guidance to the Project Coordinator on all procurement matters, progress and constraints with the implementation of the procurement packages.
- Guide MOGE staff in implementing Directorates and Units on procurement and related issues
- Work in coordination with the PIU staff in the project team and advise them on procurement issues
- Be responsible for the development of detailed procurement plans for activities identified under the project.
- Prepare bidding documents and draft contracts for goods, works and service contracts following the Zambia Public non-consultant Procurement Authority (ZPPA) and World Bank procedures and regulations.
- Prepare requests for Expression of Interest (EOI), bidding documents/ request for proposals and draft contracts for goods, works, consultants and non-consultant service contracts in accordance with the schedule in the procurement plan
- Provide guidance on consultant short-listing, and bid and proposal evaluations
- Review and provide guidance on the preparation of the Bidding Documents, Request for Proposals (RFPs), contracts; Specifically, review and revise, if necessary, the contracting
- Prepare, review, share and train stakeholders in undertaking community level procurement of works – using Community demand driven development (CDD) as will be further elaborated in the Project implementation manual and related CDD procurement documents
- Working with the MoGE Head of Procurement, provide training for Coordinators, Technical Evaluation Committees and Implementing Agencies in the preparation of Terms of References (TORs), Invitation for Expression of Interests (Eols) and consultant short-listing; preparation of RFP and proposal evaluations and draft contracts for consultants and non-consultant service
- Preparation of specifications and bidding documents and evaluation
- Establish and maintain close links with MOGE staff involved in the Project and ensure their compliance and adherence to Government and World Bank procedures in implementing their procurement work plans
- Put in place adequate contract management and reporting arrangements, conduct general reviews of procurement performance and preparation of progress reports
- Liaise with the World Bank for obtaining clearances and ‘no objection’ on procurement activities and Government of Zambia internal reviews and clearances; and
- Any other duties assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- This is a full-time position. The service is initially for a period of 2 years. The contract is renewable, subject to satisfactory Performance, for the duration of the project. There will be an annual performance review by the Project Coordinator and MOGE Directorof Planning and Information.
- An attractive package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The prospective applicant should have the following minimum academic and professional qualifications:
- Grade 12 School Certificate with at least 5′ O Level credits
- Full CIPS qualification-MCIPS or A Bachelor’s Degree in Purchasing and Supply from a reputable institution.
- Must be a paid member of Zambia Institute of Purchasing and Supply (ZIPS).
- A relevant post graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- 10 years post qualification work experience in public/ private sector procurement management of which at least 2 years at Senior Management level. Past experience with a World Bank funded project will be added advantage,
- Familiarity with Public Procurement, such as Procurement by the Government of Zambia and World Bank will be a definite advantage
- Ability to deliver technical services such as preparation of Procurement Plans, Project Implementation Plans, Preparation of specific Procurement Documents and Evaluations, identification of contract implementation milestones, etc. as required by the Project and advice the Project Coordinator, Head MOGE’s Procurement and Supplies Unit and the Director Planning & Information.
- Ability to guide and deliver the range of procurement activities required by the project.
- Ability to interact with staff in MOGE’s implementing Directorates and Units.
- Effectiveness in analyzing and resolving project implementation issues.
- Familiarity with the relevant Government institutional and administrative procedures and regulations.
- Ability to read and write excellent English, and produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations to the Project Coordinator, MOGE and World Bank.
- High level of computer literacy, including Word, Excel, email and the internet. Strong communication and good interpersonal skills.
Method of Application:
Persons meeting the above stated academic and professional requirements and experience demonstrating ability to perform the required tasks or functions can apply attaching copies of academic and professional certificates and a pertinent references demonstrating capability and attach thier Curriculum Vitae addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary (Administration)
Ministry of GeneraI Education
PO Box 50093,
Alternatively given the COVID 19 on going PANDEMIC, applicants are particularly encouraged to submit electronic applications and avoid any face to face contacts or submission in person.
The applications should be made to the following email address (i)
Director Human Resources and Administration
For/ Permanent Secretary (A)