We Effect is recruiting a Programme Officer – Cotton Certification & Marketing
We Effect is a development organisation founded by the Swedish Cooperative Movement in 1958 to support the development of democratic organisations and societies. In our international development cooperation programmes, we are applying a human rights-based approach supporting people living in poverty to secure their rights.
We Effect works in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSO’s, farmer organisations, cooperative federations, and other democratic organisations. For more information, see www.weeffect.se.
We Effect is now recruiting a Programme Officer who will be responsible for promoting cotton certification standards and facilitating market access of certified cotton produced by women and youth cotton farmers in the targeted areas. The position is located in Lusaka, Zambia at We Effect Regional Office.
- We Effect, Regional Office of Southern Africa (ROSA) in Lusaka, is looking for a dynamic and passionate Programme Officer with substantial experience in the cotton sector to promote cotton certification standards and facilitate market access of certified cotton in the Sustainable Cotton for Women and Youth Empowerment Project in Southern Africa.
As Programme Officer, you will report to the Regional Programme Manager and will be responsible for:
- Promoting cotton certification standards and facilitating market access of certified cotton produced by women and youth cotton farmers in target areas
- Facilitate capacity building of partner organisations and smallholder farmers in cotton certification and marketing procedures and implementation of cotton certification standards in the project areas.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to partner organisations and smallholder cotton farmer groups in the project areas to provide backstopping and assess progress on cotton certification, marketing and extension.
- Generate and facilitate linkages with smallholder cotton farmers, ginning companies and certification bodies secretariat for the promotion of cotton certification standards and marketing incentives.
- Prepare appropriate regional monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports for the Sustainable Cotton project.
- Prepare annual work plans and activity budgets in line with We Effect standard guidelines and implementation strategies for the Sustainable Cotton project.
- Participate in meetings related to cotton certification, marketing and extension for smallholder farmers at the national and regional level.
- Conduct lobbying and advocacy activities to regional bodies on issues related to policies, cotton trade and certification standards.
- Assist the Regional Programme Manager to organise consultative meetings and workshops, seminars with partner organisations and stakeholders.
- To contribute to effective communication and collaboration between We Effect, partner organisations, smallholder farmer groups and other stakeholders to promote visibility and achieve projects goals.
- About You
- You have several years of experience working within the agriculture field and particularly in the cotton sector. You are a feminist with an excellent understanding of development cooperation in both its theory and practice, and you are firmly rooted in the rights-based approach.
- As Programme Officer, you are mature and value-based, with the commitment, experience, and ability to organise, plan, prioritise and communicate your work to achieve results. You share We Effect’s vision of a sustainable and just world for all, free from poverty.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Sociology or other relevant fields? A Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- At least five years of substantial working experience in the agriculture field and particularly in the cotton sector.
- Experience working in civil society organisations and international development cooperation.
- Proven experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation, implementation, and reporting of development cooperation projects.
- Good understanding and experience in the application of rights-based approaches and gender equality.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong team player with excellent deadline management and ease to work towards set goals.
- Proficient in computer skills.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: