The Patents and Companies Registration Agency (PACRA) is a Government Agency established to discharge functions connected with or incidental to eight statutes namely: The Companies Act – CAP 388; The Registration of Business Names Act – CAP 389; The Patents Act – CAP 400; The Trade Marks Act – CAP 401; and The Registered Designs Act – CAP 402, The Layout-designs of Integrated Circuits Act number 6 of 2006, The Protection of Traditional Knowledge, Genetic Resources and Expressions of Folklore Act Number 16 of 2016 and The Movable Property (Security Interest) Act No. 3 of 2016 of the Laws of Zambia.
In line with its Mission to provide customer-focused, efficient and effective business registration services, and protect intellectual property rights, PACRA is committed to supporting business growth by improving the Agency’s operational efficiency and reducing the time and cost of accessing its services for business.
In order to achieve this, PACRA is advertising for the following positions: –
Salary Scale: P4
- To effectively plan, design, implement and maintain database structures, and ensure that data is effectively stored, organised, and structured in the database to guarantee optimum operations.
- The successful candidate will be reporting to the Systems Analyst for Business Applications.
- Primary Responsibilities
- Responsible for initial installation and configuration of new Database Management Systems such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle etc.
- Responsible for data extraction, transformation, and loading of large volumes of data from multiple systems into a data warehouse environment.
- Responsible for creating backup and recovery plans and procedures based on industry best practices.
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity and performance of the Agency databases as well as identifying problems that arise.
- Responsible for protecting databases against threats or unauthorized access.
- Responsible for reporting on metrics regarding usage and performance.
- Responsible for writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for data dictionaries (metadata).
- Proficiency in data manipulation languages, including MSSQL, Oracle, or PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of SAN systems such as EMC or NetApp.
- Analytic mind-sets and good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organised and responsible.
- Aware of current trends and developments in database administration.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Full Grade 12 Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or its equivalent.
- Three (3) years of relevant experience.
- Professional certification in Database Management will be an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
- Attractive Terms and Conditions of Service of the Patents and Companies Registration Agency shall apply for the position.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified and interested persons should email their application letters and detailed CVs with traceable references and certified copies of academic and professional qualifications to the email indicating the position being applied for in the subject line. Hand delivered or posted applications will not be accepted.