Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector in managing their environment and natural resources. We have delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, including water sector governance, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, environmental policy, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
RTI is seeking a Private Sector Engagement (PSE) Specialist for the anticipated USAID-Zambia $25 million Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Governance Institutions and Policy (WASH-GIP) project. The purpose of WASH-GIP is to facilitate private sector-driven sustainable access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene services, strengthen the enabling environment through accountability and citizens engagement in undeserved areas of Zambia (Northern, Western and Muchinga provinces) for improved health and economic outcomes. The position will be based in Lusaka with the need to travel to provincial areas throughout the year.
- Provide overall vision and leadership on PSE component of the project.
- Responsible for designing and implementing the project’s private sector engagement strategy as the overarching framework for increasing private sector resources, expertise, and collaboration in Zambia’s WASH sector and most specifically in the three project implementation provinces.
- Serve as main point-of-contact for private sector partners, commercial water utilities, NWASCO (the water sector regulator), municipal governments, and the Government of Zambia on strategies to improve private sector involvement and participation in water service, sanitation service, and hygiene product delivery.
- Lead identification of opportunities for public-private partnerships for WASH services and establish pilots that can be scaled at provincial levels.
- Ensure synergy between PSE component activities and alignment with other project components, including activities in governance, policy, and civil society engagement.
- Guide PSE team on preparation and delivery of high-quality technical reports; lead annual workplan development, goal setting and establishment of indicator targets, and contractual reporting to USAID, including quarterly, annual, and other performance reports as requested.
- Foster and maintain effective, professional relations with government counterparts, local organisations, international donors and other stakeholders for successful implementation of project PSE strategy.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other conservation organisations and initiatives.
- Diplomatically supervise component staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- In coordination with the Chief of Party, liaise with USAID and RTI home office on technical and financial implementation of and reporting on PSE programming.
- Manage any subcontracts and grants with local partners that include activities under the project’s PSE strategy, ensuring the quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Oversee performance monitoring and evaluation to ensure all PSE project targets are met or exceeded – making recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Master’s degree in business administration, management, international business, entrepreneurship, finance, water resources management, natural resources management, environmental science, or related field. Fourteen (14) years of experience in a related technical area will be considered with a bachelor’s degree.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience and expertise in the implementation of large and complex projects relating to private sector engagement in infrastructure generally but more specifically in the WASH sector.
- Five years proven leadership of similar sized international donor programs with strong skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Five years’ substantive experience working with counterparts at various levels of government, private sector leaders, and other stakeholders in utility management, WASH service delivery, and/or enforcement of water sector regulations.
- Experience working with the private sector in Zambia, with demonstrated understanding of trade associations, private businesses (micro, small, medium, and large), and growth objectives that can create shared value and contribute to improved WASH service delivery.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilising, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills and proven ability to develop, articulate and implement a strategic vision for PSE as a vital component of project implementation.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Proven ability to manage projects with satellite or remote offices and team members.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel and work in any of the three provinces and difficult terrain/conditions at times.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Work experience in Zambia required.
Method of Application
To apply, please email your CV/resume, and should not be more than 4 pages. English language CVs preferred. Please put ONLY the Position Title in the subject line. RTI offers competitive compensation and benefits and robust home office project support. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. RTI International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.