Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector in managing their environment and natural resources. We have delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, including water sector governance, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, environmental policy, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
RTI is seeking a Civil Society Engagement Specialist for the anticipated USAID-Zambia $25 million Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Governance Institutions and Policy (WASH-GIP) project. The purpose of WASH-GIP is to facilitate private sector-driven sustainable access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services, strengthen the enabling environment through accountability and citizens engagement in undeserved areas of Zambia (Northern, Western and Muchinga provinces) for improved health and economic outcomes. The position will be based in Lusaka with the need to travel to provincial areas throughout the year.
- Provide overall vision and leadership on civil society engagement component of the project.
- Responsible for leading implementation of the project’s civil society engagement activities in support of a strengthened and more inclusive, participatory, and effective governance framework for WASH services in Zambia.
- Serve as main point-of-contact for civil society organisations on strategies to improve water sector governance, accountability, and service delivery in WASH.
- Ensure synergy between civil society engagement component activities and alignment with other project components, including activities in policy, private sector engagement, governance.
- Guide civil society engagement team on preparation and delivery of high-quality technical reports; lead annual workplan development, goal setting and establishment of indicator targets, and contractual reporting to USAID, including quarterly, annual, and other performance reports as requested.
- Foster and maintain effective, professional relations with government counterparts, local organisations, international donors, civil society organisations, and other stakeholders for successful implementation of project civil society engagement activities.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other conservation organisations and initiatives.
- Diplomatically supervise component staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- In coordination with the Chief of Party, liaise with USAID and RTI home office on technical and financial implementation of and reporting on policy programming.
- Manage any subcontracts and grants with local partners that include activities under the project’s civil society engagement component, ensuring the quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Oversee performance monitoring and evaluation to ensure all civil society engagement project targets are met or exceeded – making recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Master’s degree in conflict resolution, political science, public policy, development studies, economics, water resources management, natural resources management, or related field.
- Fourteen (14) years of experience in a related technical area will be considered with a bachelor’s degree.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience and expertise in the implementation of large and complex projects relating to strengthening of civil society institutions and organisations, inclusive development, and/or civil society participation in WASH service delivery.
- Five years proven leadership of similar sized international donor programs with strong skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Five years’ substantive experience working with counterparts at various levels of government, private sector leaders, and other stakeholders in strengthening civil society engagement, capacity, and participation.
- Experience working with civil society organisations in Zambia, with demonstrated understanding of existing platforms and opportunities for civil society engagement with the Government of Zambia, commercial water utilities, and private sector.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilising, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills and proven ability to develop, articulate and implement a strategic vision for governance as a vital component of project implementation.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Proven ability to manage projects with satellite or remote offices and team members.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel and work in any of the three provinces and difficult terrain/conditions at times.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Work experience in Zambia required.
Method of Application
To apply, please email your CV/resume, and should not be more than 4 pages. English language CVs preferred. Please put ONLY the Position Title in the subject line. RTI offers competitive compensation and benefits and robust home office project support. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. RTI International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.