The Government of Zambia and the United Nations have developed a Joint Programme on Gender Based Violence (GRZ-UNJP-GBV) Phase II (2019-2022) which is a multi-partner programme designed to reduce the prevalence of gender-based violence (GBV) in Zambia. This programme builds on and consolidates the gains made in the GRZ-UN Joint Programme Phase 1 (2012 – 2017). Phase 1 of this programme recorded significant results by providing support to GRZ implementation of the Anti GBV Act No. 1 – 2011.
The overall Phase II GRZ-UNJP focusses on prevention and response at sub-national and national level. The response component includes four key elements, namely; Fast Track Courts (FTCs), One Stop Centres (OSCs), Shelters, and Village Led One Stop Centres (VLOSCs) as avenues for strengthening professional practice through capacity development of service providers such as police officers, social workers, medical workers and legal officers to respond effectively and efficiently to survivors of GBV. This will include an element of strengthening child friendly services for child survivors as well as best interests’ determination for unaccompanied and separated child migrant victims of GBV. Strengthening response also has impact on prevention as communities see that violence and GBV is not acceptable and sanctions will be applied, which serves to discourage would be perpetrators.
UNDP seeks a Programme Associate to support the planning and management of the GRZ-UN Joint Programme on GBV II by managing data and resolving complex programme management related issues and information delivery. The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The Programme Associate will work under the overall guidance of the Assistant Resident Representative of the UNDP Governance and Gender Unit and directly with the Programme Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administrative and logistical support
- Coordinate the arrangement of appointments and meetings, including compilation of briefing and presentation materials, ground information and documentation
- Support preparation of budgets for the project activities
- Support the project in the procurement process including preparation of request in PROMPT, receipts of quotations
- Prepare purchase order (POs)
- Provide administrative support to organisation of conferences, workshops and retreats as required
- Support to the management on physical assets disposal/transfer; ensuring inventory records are up to date and accurate
- Maintain, in collaboration with the Finance Specialist, an up-to-date list of inventories of the project and support annual physical verification by checking the accuracy of records and location of property
- Be custodian for management of project stationary supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationary, distribution of stationary as required and keeping the log of distribution
- Maintain filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials and document
- Take meeting minutes as and when required
- Facilitate the preparation and conduct of audit of NEX projects, implementation of audit recommendations (this includes the issue of accounts, cash books, reconciliation of accounts, proof of payments, retirement of imprest, equipment, reports, payment supporting documents, combined delivery reports and work plans)
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of financial reports
- Facilitate the organisation of all events, workshops and launches of all publications.
Financial Management with a focus on Quality Assurance:
- Undertake, in collaboration with the Finance, timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors
- Create requisitions in Atlas for the project, register of good receipt in ATLAS
- Make budget revisions, budget checks for requisitions, POs and vouchers
- Support Programme Coordinator in the establishment of the project M&E systems that enable project to have timely and accurate information.
Formulation and Implementation of Project:
- Collection and presentation of background information for preparation of audits and other programme documents
- Effective communication with external and internal partners;
- Contribute to the preparation of annual work plans, budgets and reports.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, audit and other reports;
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones of the Phase II Joint GBV Programme and preparation of reports on the outcome
- Monitoring of programme expenditures.
- Resource Mobilisation
- Provides guidance to the implementing institutions on routine implementation of the project
- Tracks and reports on the use of financial resources
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and database, establishment of contacts with donor counterparts.
Knowledge Management and knowledge sharing:
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices on selected GBV thematic areas.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributing to results through provision of information:
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases:
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilised resources.
- Promoting Organisational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organisational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilises these regularly in work assignments.
- Client Orientation
Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organises and priorities work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Resource Mobilisation
Providing information for resource mobilisation strategies:
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration or Development Studies or relevant social science. Certification in Programme/Project management is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible administrative, programme and finance experience is required at the national level in project administration, project management, logistics, knowledge management, preferably in the international development/humanitarian sector
- Work experience in administration, programme and finance of donor projects for specific cooperating partner and government counterparts is required. Experience with the UN will be an advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of local language is a functional advantage. Very good communication skills are required.
Important applicant information:
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: