Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. Our Vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. In Zambia, Save the Children works in the following Thematic areas: Education, Health& Nutrition, Child Protection, Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty; including Humanitarian response. Save the Children wishes to invite qualified individuals to apply for the following position:
Duty Station: Lusaka Country Office
Role Purpose: The Education Program Manager (PM) will act as the technical and program lead on all education-related matters for the Zambia Country office. The post holder is responsible for providing strategic and management leadership, technical guidance and representing the Basic Education program among governmental and non-governmental stakeholders, and leading the development of new program initiatives.
The incumbent will be reporting to Deputy Country Director(DCD) -Programmes
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Ensure effective activity and financial planning and implementation are in line with SCI and awards requirements
- Organise and facilitate regular program review and planning meetings with Program Team, ensuring progress against work plans and targets.
- Supervise, mentor, and provide management and technical support to Basic Education team.
- Oversee grant performance and financial management, providing quality assurance, timely reporting, and stewardship of grant resources, with spending according to budgets and plan.
- In liaison with the Awards Manager, ensure value for money for all forms of expenditure on all grants and ensure that financial controls are complied with constant monitoring of BVA
- Lead the program teams on developing and managing budgets under Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) and Basic Education (BE) interventions.
- Support the Technical Support Specialists to develop and define new partnerships in ECCD and Basic education
- Support the awards and partnership manager conduct partnership organisation assessment for ECCD and BE
- With support from the TSs, the Awards and Partnership Manager, Finance and other support functions lead in the development and design of capacity building plans for each partner
- Compile and develop partner report in line with member / donor reporting guidelines
Leadership and Representation:
- Develop a high quality Education programme through integration, expansion and growth of existing programmes and strengthening links with other sectors as appropriate.
- Lead in developing Education programming documents including: Child Rights Situation Analysis (CRSA), Education programme strategy and annual plans and contributing to the development of the overall Country Strategic Plan.
- Build strong networks with other NGOs, CSOs, UN agencies, development partners and academic institutions working on education to collaborate on joint learning, analysis and advocacy initiatives.
- Represent Save the Children at national, regional and international networks and fora, and participate in conferences/meetings, to build the organisations reputation in the education sector
Strategic Programme Development and Fundraising:
- In collaboration with Program Development and Quality(PDQ) team identify funding opportunities and develop high quality proposals in coordination with senior technical staff, project teams and Awards colleagues.
- Ensure regular liaison and communication with relevant staff at the Regional Office and in Save the Children member organisations. Ensure proposed work in Zambia is understood, in line with, and contributes to the fulfilment of global objectives and advocacy efforts.
Programme Quality and Effectiveness:
- Ensure that the Education teams are updated with state of the art strategies and approaches and support their implementation and use; support development of quality benchmarks and guidance materials for Education projects and programmes.
- Policy Analysis, Policy Engagement, Research and Advocacy:
- Explore opportunities to engage in advocacy work to change policies and practices in Zambia and lead the development of detailed advocacy plans for education.
- Develop policy briefs and position papers ensuring the inclusion of technical input from the relevant project managers, engage in networking and articulating Save the Children’s position, policy and strategy in national forums and meetings.
- Ensure that the voices of children guide advocacy and policy change objectives and related activities.
- The post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualification and Experience:
- Masters degree in Education related field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience; preferably in Education within government & civil society sector
- Knowledge of human rights, preferably of children’s rights and ECCD and Basic Education
- Demonstrated ability to apply advocacy skills within national setting
- Advanced program management skills to design and deliver programs with partners and/or through direct assistance
- Understanding of and experience in working with civil society organisations
- University degree in Social Science or relevant area
- Fluency in written and spoken English with good analytical, report and proposal writing skills
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: