The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Communications, Press and Media
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
- Work closely with Head – Political, Press & Public Affairs and Joint Governance team in delivering the British High Commission’s country business plan, with particular responsibility for: Digital diplomacy, news monitoring, public enquiries.
- Assist and cover for IT Support Officer (ITSO)
- Cover for PA to High Commissioner
Roles and responsibilities:
Digital Diplomacy including website management and development: 30%
- To drive the High Commission’s digital communications work and carry out digital diplomacy for all sections operating in the High Commission, incorporating all aspects of the UK’s role in Zambia.
- Responsibility for ensuring website and social media content is innovative, engaging, accurate and relevant to our audience.
- Working alongside High Commission Project Officers, ensure all activity includes opportunities to promote and engage with users.
- Identify opportunities to amplify High Commission/UK Government messages, including identifying new ways to engage with audience members.
Media monitoring 15%
- Produce daily round-ups of press articles of relevance to BHC/DFID/FCO. Follow up on articles of particular interest.
- Maintain up-to-date contacts list of key press/media, CSO and political contacts.
Events management, sponsored visits and handling of general correspondence from the public: 20%
- Provide PPA assistance as required for BHC events including the QBP, sponsored visits, as well as any inward official visits
Project Management including public diplomacy associated with projects: 20%
- Strategy design alongside B3(L)
- Implementation of projects
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Financial reporting
Maintain and support IT equipment/infrastructure and telephony for all staff (training will be provided) 10%
- Act as the assistant focal point of contact for all ICT issues and interface with UK and other stakeholders
- Ensure the security of the systems against potential breaches of security
- Act as back-up for to PA to the High Commissioner (training will be provided) 15%
- Maintain diary and appointments, arrange meetings
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms
- Video and Photo editing skills
- Fluency in English (both spoken and written)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Language: A basic understanding of Nyanja and Bemba
- Conversant with both Microsoft and Apple products
- Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
- Application deadline
- 26 June 2020
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: