Zambia Red Cross Society is implementing a Support to Emergency Response Preparedness (SERP) Project in the three districts of Zambezi, Chavuma, and Kabompo in North Western Province.
The duty Station for the Project Officer is Zambezi.
Duration: Initial 6 months with possibility of extension depending on performance and resource availability
Reporting to: Disaster Management Officer
The Project Officer (PO) will work under the direct supervision of the Disaster Management Officer and will be responsible for the management of the Support to Emergency Response Preparedness (SERP) Project at the field level, overseeing project activities in the three Districts of North Western Province.
The PO’s role is to ensure that: project implementation, system (administration, logistics and human resources management) security, and finance management at field level is according to ZRCS/NLRC guidelines and procedures. The PO is the budget holder at field level. The PO will supervise the day to day work of the Field Officers who will be based in Chavuma, Zambezi and Kabompo Districts.
1. Project Development
- Responsible for overall management of the implementation of the project in line with approved project proposals, budgets and within the agreed time-frame at the field level
- Collaborate with other stakeholders in preparedness and response to anticipated disasters
- Participate in all district preparedness and response interventions
- Develop effective relationships at district level with all key partners and collaborators including government departments
- Ensure compliance with all ZRCS, donor and Government policies, procedures and guidelines that relate to the implementation of the SERP project activities
- Ensure project deadlines and quality report standards are met
- Ensure resources are used appropriately and efficiently
- Maintains records that provide for proper evaluation, control and documentation of assigned activities.
2. Disaster Preparedness and Response
- To provide technical support to Field Officers in disaster preparedness and response.
- Support Field Officer and Branch Executive Committees (BECs) in community engagement and tracking day to day activities in the implementation of SERP project in Zambia
- Networking with other stakeholders
- Support and develop the National long term preparedness and response measures
3. Capacity Building
- Ensure that the project is implemented in a way that empowers and capacity builds local communities to ensure sustainability of project interventions
- Contribute to the development of National Society capacity and knowledge in areas covered by the Project
- Plans, organises, reviews and evaluates the work of the project Field Officers.
- Ensure that the necessary logistics and procurement guidelines are followed as per ZRCS/NLRC requirements
- Supervision and control of preparedness stock available in the districts
- Ensure and update regularly the inventory list of all assets procured by the project at district levels
- Ensure that ZRCS/NLRC financial policies are adhered to in all transactions
- Ensure that the district level project expenditures are in line with the agreed budgets
- Ensure that cash requests are prepared and submitted timely as required.
- Ensure that Working Advances are compiled as required and sent to HQ on timely manner
- Retirements are done timely from all project staff and submitted to HQ complete with all related attachments.
- Represent the project at all appropriate fora within the district area, including all related stakeholder groups such as sector meetings; disaster, health including water and sanitation.
- Actively pursue strong collaboration with government agencies/departments and line ministries and other NGO’s working in the same project areas (disaster preparedness, DRR, Social Protection, Cash Transfers)
- Develop effective working relationships with local leaders and disaster satellites
- 6. Reporting and Communication
- Liaise closely with your immediate supervisor to ensure open communication, ensure feedback is received and all duties are carried out in a timely and efficient manner;
- Ensure that all project reporting is completed in a timely and accurate manner..
- Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation system is used to monitor the progress of the project as well as the indicators.
7. Additional duties
- The Project Officer will undertake additional tasks relating to ZRCS work from time
- to time as requested by the immediate supervisor.
- 8. Desired Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelors’ degree in Disaster Management, Development Studies, Social Work, Business Administration, Public Administration, Natural Resources or any other relevant Social Science discipline from a recognized tertiary institution;
- At least two years field practical experience in similar undertaking;
- Experience working with International or reputable local NGOs
- Red Cross members / volunteers that meet the prescribed credentials are strongly encouraged to apply.
- NOTE: Zambia Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does NOT demand any payment in its recruitment process
Method of Application
To apply for this position, kindly follow this link or email: