SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization with long-term, local presence in more than 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development across three sectors: Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
SNV is a member of the Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD) (www.thedfcd.com), a Netherlands based consortium (led by FMO, Dutch development bank ), whose objectives are to (i) provide finance and Technical Assistance (TA) to projects with a focus on climate change adaptation; (ii) mobilize external private sector funding at scale; and (iii) align directly with DFCD Theory of Change (ToC).
The DFCD allows for investments in projects aimed at climate change adaptation and mitigation in developing countries. SNV, as part of the DFCD Origination Facility, will identify and develop, together with local companies and stakeholders, bankable business case propositions which can subsequently be picked up by the DFCD Investment Facilities (Water and Land-use) for further development, match-making and investment. The DFCD presents an important additional instrument for the Dutch government’s efforts in contributing to the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Overview of position:
To enhance capacity to fulfill its mandate in Zambia, the DFCD is seeking to recruit a Climate Change Business Development (CCBD) Advisor in the SNV Zambia Office. The CCBD Advisor will be responsible for identifying, building and managing a pipeline of greenfield and existing companies that seek to invest in climate change adaptation-related ventures. She/he will provide technical support to the identified local companies with the aim of developing a pipeline of investable business cases in the assigned countries with the support and supervision of the Regional Business Investment Officer. The CCBD advisor will report to the Regional Business Investment Officer in Kenya and the SNV Country Director in Zambia
- Provides support in scoping and structuring new business cases in the assigned countries in the region.
- Identification of potential business cases in climate change adaptation by taping into networks, liaising with SNV’s Project Managers and cooperation partners.
- Preparation of investment proposals with a focus on climate change adaptation, undertaking analysis and discussions with internal staff & clients as appropriate
- Ensuring compliance of business cases with the fund’s assessment framework
- Planning and execution of due diligence visits
- Participates in client visits when requested
- Analyses financial data including ratios, projections, budgets, etc.
- Supports legal contracting process supported by a legal advisor
2. Monitoring a portfolio of contracted grants in the assigned countries:
- Keeps track of progress on Milestones of individual business cases.
- Planning Contracting and Monitoring of work-packages implemented by Consultants
- Prepares (credit)reviews incl. market and financial analysis
- Provides inputs to the Regional Business Investment Officer by responding to requests for information/support
- Undertakes administrative tasks to ensure file completion (compliance and reporting)
- Participates in client monitoring visits when needed
3. Providing analysis and support
- Provide support on repeat transactions for existing clients
- Assists team members in other aspects of the portfolio management process
4. Fosters cross project collaboration and coordination within the Consortium on a national level.
- Cooperate with other projects in the SNV portfolio and integrate synergies in day to day activities
- Liaise with national consortium partners on planning and implementing common country activities.
- Msc in (agri)economics, finance, business administration, engineering
- Minimum of 4 years working experience as investment expert for sustainable inclusive businesses
- Working experience in an international environment and/or in emerging markets is a plus.
- Strong analytical and risk assessment skills, including financial modelling skills;
- Strong administration skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to build productive internal and external working relationships
- Displays a strong service and client orientation;
- Strong team player
- Good networking skills
- Pro-active work attitude and ‘can do’, solution-oriented attitude
- Strong skills in planning, administration, organising and prioritising
- Risk aware and able to escalate issues when necessary
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Affinity with SNVs mission and with the Agriculture, WASH and Renewable Energy
- Proven experience in providing business development and marketing support to companies
- Proven experience in developing bankable business plans for starting and existing companies
- Proven experience in managing results-based contracts with companies
- Proven experience in Climate Change Adaptation with a focus on Agriculture and Water Sectors (highly preferable)
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: