EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Zambia project is a 5-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the Education Development Center (EDC). USAID Let’s Read Zambia works to improve reading outcomes for children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
The Procurement Assistant will support the Procurement Manager in managing all project procurement processes including printing of Teaching and Learning Materials and equipment procurement. The incumbent will assist in ensuring procurement is transparent and carried out in accordance with USAID regulations, EDC procurement policies, procedures, rules and guidelines are followed. S/he will report to the procurement manager.
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for the following tasks, but not limited to:
- Assist the Procurement Manager to oversee all project procurement; and ensuring procurement is transparent and carried out in accordance with USAID regulations, EDC policies and procedures
- Procure and ensure timely, efficient and cost-effective supply of goods and services to project teams in accordance with donor and EDC guidelines
- Prepare requests for quotations, conduct bid evaluation, prepare price analysis, and conduct due diligence (reference checks and site visits) and draft purchase orders in support of the procurement of goods and services for the project
- Support the Procurement Manager to review and track the procurement plan; communicating and sharing updates with the various project teams on a regular basis
- Working closely with the project technical teams and providing procurement guidance and assistance to trainings, events and activities that will require the rental of venues or hotels, catering services, transportation services and procurement of stationery and supplies
- Maintain filing system for procurement and ensure that the minimum documentation referenced in the procurement threshold is in each procurement file;
- Ensure that the vendor meets the terms and conditions of the purchase order/contract through active contract management; This includes written communication with the vendor to ensure on-time delivery, and that goods and services meet the specifications and are of the quality and quantity requested;
- Review invoice payments from vendors and compare to the terms of the purchase order or contract to ensure vendor invoices are accurate before submitting for payment;
- Support project budget revisions by providing estimated pricing for goods and services; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Reporting and Organisational Relationships
- Procurement Assistant reports to the Procurement Manager.
The candidate for the position of Procurement Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Advanced Diploma/ Level 5 in Purchasing and Supply or its equivalent
- Must be a member of Zambia Institute of Purchasing and Supply with a valid practising license
Skills and Experience:
- At least 3 years’ experience managing procurement processes in Zambia, including with USAID-funded programs
- Experience in competitive procurement of goods and services required
- Experience in administration of subcontracts and purchase orders strongly preferred)
- Detail-oriented and organised
- Experience using computers and software at work, especially email and MS Word (experience with MS Excel is desired)
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment
- Willingness to frequently travel to provinces and districts covered by the project
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: