Department: Resource Development and Communications
Job Location: Lusaka
Reports to: Resource Development and Communications Manager
Responsible for: Donor, Media Relations and Communications Performance review after 3 months
Proactively support and maintain internal and external communications with Habitat for Humanity Zambia staff and stakeholders. Support the development of the communications and stay abreast with HFHI communications and PR tool kits, ensuring SOE and local standards – all for the purpose of supporting the resource development and mobilisation agenda. Oversee, facilitate and provide recommendations to ensure proper record keeping and tracking of relevant information and documentation. Engage in line with RDC fundraising strategy to support such efforts through coordinating and delivering on Public Relations activities during special events with the Volunteers Engagement Officer.Support the advocacy and NO networking efforts through engagement with Advocacy and Policy Specialist. Support department needs in delivering appropriate messaging with quality, creativity and professionalism to depict consistency aligned with HFH branding for staff and partner/donor consumption. Key to this position is the ability to multitask various projects at once and a high capacity for working independently and taking the initiative. This person must be a motivated self-starter.
Implementing the communication strategy to:
- Co-support the establishment and reinforcement of a relevant communications policy for operations across the entire organisation
- Align with the National Office and HFHI Global strategy and agreed messaging guided by EMEA communications department
- Raise awareness and tell HfH’s story so as to increase PR/Brand awareness of HFHZ to local and the international community.
- Safeguard brand image through guidance to staff and partners, with regular brand material audits and oversight
- Foster a climate that will enhance resource mobilisation efforts via multimedia platforms, using platforms that optimise reach cost effectively – such as social media, free and recognised online platforms.
- Support in the maintenance of existing relationships through regular publications to donors and stakeholders.
- Ensure healthy media relations, and track and record outputs/ features for ease of reporting to the GMT.
- Ensure consistent messaging aligned with HFH’s local and global strategy.
- Overall, primarily responsible for supporting the supervisor implementing the communications policy, strategy and guidelines.
Key areas of responsibility
- Contribute to the development of HFHZ communications plan including key promotional messages in consultation with the project team for annual, on-going and once off activities as per HFHI guidelines.
- Provide all Public Relations support and media handling during all HFHZ major events;
- Lead in the development of HFHZ publications and IEC materials – business cards, brochures, newsletters, reports and the annual report of the organisation
- Prepare event press packs for media personnel (speeches, press releases, beneficiary profiles) and responses to media enquiries.
- Assist in the preparation of key Advocacy and Policy messages for publication (physical and online)
- Draft case studies and relevant project documents and suggest recommendations on varied issues
- Lead in beneficiary profiling and documentation of impact stories
- Assist in conducting and reporting on awareness raising campaigns, events, information dissemination workshops, etc. for target groups
- Take lead in dissemination of communication materials to relevant stakeholders
- Participate in developing and evaluating feasibility, efficiency and quality of Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials
- Create opportunities for free media coverage for HFHZ (electronic and print) through discussions, press releases, features and articles.
- Lead and support all departments in project document development (community profiles)
Social media and website management:
- Assist in copy editing and proof reading content for the website and social media
- Proactively contribute to the development of new content and materials for the websites and social media platforms
- Synchronise social media platforms for consistent messaging across the platforms
- Develop varied content to maintain an engaging platform which elevates the HFHZ brand image
- Keep abreast with modern applications/ features / apps for optimising reach to the public
- Provide recommendations for effective tools
- Market HFHZ on social media through creative postings and appeals in line with HFHI Guidelines
Media and donor relations:
- Manage information requests: reply to general requests for information and prepare (standardized) responses for simplification for key staff – inclusive of Frequently asked Questions (FAQ sheet) as it relates to organisational programs, projects, the NO, and Global Village sending office engagement
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
- Prepare presentations in accordance with branding guidelines, support admin with information folders for meetings and conferences.
- Prepare press packs for media and folders for key dignitaries at local events
- Coordinate and monitor all recognition communication with Global Village teams quarterly
- To support the implementation of media communication outputs, including drafting Press releases, speeches, news articles, quarterly features, website, brochures, video, radio and television programs.
- Write thank you and recognition letters (e-updates), cards and informational materials to all donors, donor file and donor database to ensure the sustainability and continuity of RDC efforts.
- As applicable, develop blogs to facilitate awareness on key activities and milestones related to key projects with key consideration of donor branding requirements
- To support with media features in line with resounding NO and/or global themes, develop scripts and briefs to be used by spokespersons of the organisation as they interact with the media
- To report on the progress of the communication work plan including support of the delivery of its outputs; releases, their distribution to the target groups and monitor the preparation of press clippings
- To monitor and analyse the media for key developmental issues for effective reporting on behalf of Habitat for Humanity Zambia
- To update and maintain a media diary regularly, contribute to effective media relations and ensuring maximum editorial exposure in national, regional and local media.
- Support RDCM to organize special events and donor / international media visits as necessary.
- Provide input and basic research in support of proposals coordinated by RDCM
- The officer may be required to perform duties that are beyond the scope of the job description in mutual discussion and agreement with the supervisor.
- Field visits play a large part in the incumbent’s activities; as such, it is expected that the incumbent is willing and able to take part in such activities as and when needed and sometimes with short notice.
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Mass Communications, Business Administration or in any relevant field
- Diploma in similar fields as above with minimum 5 years related work experience
- Overall 3 years plus work experience in communications, marketing, PR and donor relations
- Proposal writing an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to work in a not-for-profit environment with limited budget and resources
- Demonstrated ability to produce professionally written, quality materials for a range of audiences
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to write English language fluently
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage, implement and evaluate fundraising appeals or campaigns for an NGO
- Effective computer skills, in particular in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Desktop Publishing
- Experienced in the creation and/or design of visual media/communications materials (print, digital, etc.)
- Proficiency with PC based software programs (Word, Excel, Publisher), office technologies, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google suite, Flickr, Picasa)
- Demonstrated professional commitment to human and community development
- English language fluency; and other Zambia languages like Nyanja and Bemba critical,
- A Clean Driving Licence
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Attention to detail is key, particularly with review and development of written material
- Creative problem-solver, resourceful, solution-oriented
- Coordination, negotiation and consultative abilities
- Interpersonal and cross cultural skills from community level to high profile engagement
- Proficiency with use of social media platforms as means of optimising reach and visibility
- Well organised and able to plan short and long term work plans
- Manage to meet deadlines and prioritise demands
- Good communication skills (both oral and written)
- High degree of integrity, good judgement and maturity
- Result orientated and a self-starter
- Innovative and multi tasker
- Excellent photography skills
- Graphic designing abilities are an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to work with poise under tight timeframes
- Flexible, patient and compassionate
- Skilled at working in teams and independently
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
- Team working
- Committed and responsible
- Willing to work out of contractual hours during times of need
- Head of Programs
- Resource Development and Communications Manager
- Advocacy and Policy Specialist.
- Human Resources Administrator
- National Director
Method of Application
Applicants will initially be evaluated based on documentation submitted with applications. Applicants must submit all requested documentations for them to be considered.
Application Mode: Send an application letter, certified copies of academic and professional qualifications and updated Curriculum Vitae, addressing your application to the National Director.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“Habitat for humanity zambia is an equal opportunity employer”.