Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill a vacancy at the University of Zambia.
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor, the University Librarian is one of the Principal Officer Positions, and provides leadership, strategic direction and oversees the development and implementation of the University’s overall strategic goal in the area of library services and resources in support of the University’s mandate in teaching, learning and research.
- Oversees the development, implementation and evaluation of the library’s short and long-term strategic plans, programmes, and services in support of the university mission and goals
- Initiates and oversees the development, interpretation, communication and implementation of library policies and procedures
- Oversees the management of library resources, including developing plans for the allocation of resources
- Directs, formulates and implements public service programmes
- Examines book reviews, publishers’ catalogues and other selection tools in order to recommend information resources to be added to the collection
- Initiates the formulation, implementation and review of e- library policy
- Ensures the selection, acquisition and installation of appropriate hardware and software for the library system,
- Directs system evaluation for necessary upgrades in keeping with technological developments
- Ensures that all important electronic information is backed up
- Initiates the construction, development and maintenance of the library website
- Ensures the dissemination of information on new products and services through intranet and the library website
- Supervises the designing and organisation of outreach programmes for distance learners and external users,
- Ensures that the Library has adequate and relevant books and other reading materials
- Oversees the maintenance of physical infrastructure
- Ensures prudent utilisation of financial and physical resources,
- Leads in the mobilisation of financial resources for the Library by ensuring the development and implementation of strategies or initiatives for generating and attracting revenue from internal and external sources;
- Supervises subordinate staff and ensures that performance appraisal is conducted for all staff in the Library; and
- Ensures preparation of quarterly and annual operational performance reports.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- Grade 12 School Certificate or its equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science or any other relevant field from a reputable University
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or any other relevant field from e reputable University
- PhD in Library and Information Science or any other relevant field from a reputable University
- Minimum of ten (10) years relevant work experience in an education institution or research institution, of which five (5) years must be at management level or equivalent level
- Must have proof of membership to a professional organisation or association
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Method of application
Only candidates who meet the specified requirements need to apply to the address indicated below, enclosing their detailed curriculum vitae, copies of educational certificates certified by the Zambia Qualifications Authority, names and addresses of three traceable references and contact address/ telephone-mail details. The position should be clearly marked on the envelope.
Applications to be sent to:
University of Zambia,
P O Box 32379,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The University of Zambia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.