Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego invites applications for the following positions for an upcoming Department of Defence (DOD) funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The project’s goal is to achieve HIV epidemic control by supporting the Defense Force of Zambia (DFZ) to achieve and sustain UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets and at least 90% VMMC coverage for members of the DFZ, their families and the civilian communities they serve.
All successful candidates selected for these positions will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reports to: Project Director (Primary) and DFZ HIV/AIDS Coordinator (Secondary)
The Monitoring, Evaluation & Research Advisor will provide technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction for monitoring, evaluation, and research (MER) activities for an upcoming Department of Defence (DOD) President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)-funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The MER Advisor under the supervision of the Project Director will work closely with the Defence Force of Zambia (DFZ) HIV/AIDS Secretariat to build capacity of DFZ in MER. The staff in this position will be 50% based at Jhpiego and 50% based at DFZ HIV/AIDS Secretariat.
- MER Systems Development & Implementation
Support DFZ in:
- Developing Evaluation & Performance Monitoring Plans and Theory of Change with clearly defined indicators to measure program performance and quality
- Develop M&E plans/strategies detailing project specific routine monitoring activities, planned evaluations and personnel coordination and management.
- Design/adapt Data Collection Tools and Data Management Systems to collect performance data at all levels (Province, District and Facility) in consultation with key program and technical personnel
- CoordinateMER team planning for monthly data collection of performance indicators
- Review routine data analysis, indicator performance trackers, data review presentations, bulletins and consolidate monthly reports.
- Support data management and reporting for program quality assessments/initiatives.
- Provide evidence to inform project strategies and work plans aligned with project objectives
- Support DFZ in the development of donor reports and other organization wide reporting requirements using DATIM and other internal systems
- Lead research/evaluation framework design workshops and development of protocols
- Support DFZ to prepare Institutional Review Board (IRB) submission packages and manage IRB processes from submission through approval working with all mandatory agencies
- Support DFZ in Recruiting and training field personnel/survey team and oversee field work coordination
- Work with DFZ to Identify abstracts and potential manuscripts, support drafting of abstracts and papers, ensuring data inputs and accurate results with appropriate statistical tests.
- Organize and facilitate evaluation dissemination events with appropriate dissemination tools
- Ensures that evaluation reports and datasets are archived as required ensuring confidentiality and integrity.
- Technical Assistance for M&E and HMIS Strengthening:
- Build capacity of DFZ to develop technical assistance standard operating procedures training curriculum, flow charts and job aids in conjunction with key program and technical personnel
- Lead the assessment of MER & HMIS gaps and implement appropriate technical assistance services working closely with provincial and district level officials in supported provinces
- Introduce novel Data Quality Improvement (DQI) approaches and collaborate with MOH at national, provincial and district level to conduct appropriate DQI activities as required
- Introduce and support deployment of context appropriate data analysis, data review and data use tools to supported locations
- Organize provincial learning events and visits for cross learning across districts and provinces
- Support capacity building for research and evaluations including abstracts and manuscript development
- Knowledge Management & Stakeholder Management:
- Support DFZ to identify case studies and success stories from project reports and activities
- Support DFZ to review and rewrite case studies and success stories
- Support knowledge asset identification, archiving and retrieval, following up with project team members to ensure organization Knowledge Management tools are consistently used
- Development and update project bulletins (internal and external)
- Represent Jhpiego at technical working groups and other relevant meetings with MOH and DOD
- Support DFZ in ensuring regular participation in the MOH TWG meetings
- Cultivate strategic MER relationships and alliances with other implementing partners
- Mentorship of DFZ staff in MER
- Master’s in Public Health or in a related field
- Experience in implementing USG funded programs with understanding of Donor, especially DOD, regulations, compliance and reporting requirements.
- At least 8-9 years of recent senior-level experience in successful field implementation and management of M&E programs in any of the following areas: HIV/AIDS, TB, or VMMC.
- Strong data analysis and data management skillset
- Technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including at least 4-5 of the following:
- Data quality improvement
- Timely data analysis, synthesis and communication of results
- Design and implementation of evaluation protocols
- Design and implementation of program monitoring systems
- Development and field-testing of data collection instruments for M&E indicators
- Data collection planning and implementation (routine or survey)
- Translation of complex data systems and results into understandable lessons learned and action priorities for programmatic and other technical staff
- Experience working with the DFZ and/or other military populations/facilities preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, leadership, supervisory and conflict management skills
- Strong computer skills including Excel, Word, and Word Perfect applications
- Strong change management, results-oriented and decision-making skills
- Ability to take initiatives and be creative
- Ability to work independently with very little supervision
- A team player with ability to work with a very diverse group of people and environment.
- Ability to supervise in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to achieve desired results
- Strong communication (writing and oral presentation) skills
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
Method of Application
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document, stating the position and location e.g. (Office Manager – Kasama) in the subject line to the Human Resources Manager:
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted