Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego invites applications for the following positions for an upcoming Department of Defence (DOD) funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The project’s goal is to achieve HIV epidemic control by supporting the Defense Force of Zambia (DFZ) to achieve and sustain UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets and at least 90% VMMC coverage for members of the DFZ, their families and the civilian communities they serve.
All successful candidates selected for these positions will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location: Chipata, Ndola, Lusaka, Kabwe & Kasama
Reports to: Snr VMMC Advisor and Demand Creation Advisor
The VMMC Demand Creation Technical Officer will be a member of the DOD Project team tasked with responsibility of mobilizing people and communities and creating demand for VMMC. He/She will work with the DFZ and Community leadership to create demand for effective uptake of VMMC services.
- Work with the DFZ to create demand for VMMC services through provision of technical support to mobilizers (community lay workers)
- Under the guidance of the Demand Creation Technical Advisor and the VMMC Technical Advisor, work closely with clients to develop campaign materials for use by mobilizers in their specific area of responsibility
- Ensure collaboration with DFZ, Provincial and District Health Offices and other implementing partners in the provinces
- Facilitate development of provincial/district-specific demand creation plans.
- Liaises with PHO/DHO to develop demand creation plans for hard to reach areas
- Liaises with Provincial and district structures and other implementing partners to develop and implement communications plans
- Participates in all relevant VMMC technical advisory groups at provincial level and provides technical support
- Works with Technical Advisors for Advocacy, Mobilization and Communication to coordinate demand creation efforts with service delivery and provincial mentors to ensure availability and quality of efforts
- Coordinates and facilitates any group-based training activities
- Collaborates with local organizations including CBOs and CSOs to conduct demand creation activities to ensure effective dissemination of key messages.
- Manages the dissemination and distribution of communication materials to create visibility and increase awareness and knowledge of VMMC services
- Works closely with service delivery sites to create demand so as to ensure a good uptake of MC services
- Initiates and participates in evaluation of targeted demand generation strategies and assessment activities related to advocacy, community mobilization and communications with the goal of improving project outcomes.
- Working closely with the MER Technical Officer, develop strategies and plans to VMMC clients to return to the clinic for their follow-up visit, and also follow-up clients in the communities.
- Work with MER Technical Officer for VMMC data accuracy and integrity.
- Provides technical and strategic guidance in the area of community mobilization; supporting the program’s provincial-based technical teams to meet their objectives of increased numbers of VMMC performed
- Mobilizing and sustaining a community-based network of community mobilizers and advocates to carry out project activities; and working closely with provincial and national partners who collaborate on these objectives
- Actively engage and create linkages with community leaders and gatekeepers with a view to mobilize their constituents for HIV and other health services.
- Any other duties as assigned by the organization/supervisor
- Degree in communication, public health or related field
- 6 – 7 years’ experience in HIV prevention and health communication programs
- Familiarity with demand generation for VMMC and behavior change approaches and best practices and demonstrated experience in creating demand for VMMC or other public health interventions particular for hard to reach population groups
- Experience working with international and local NGOs and community-based organizations, as well as the MOH
- Experience holding community meetings and public speaking in English and at least two local languages
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making and organizational skills, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work effectively in a demanding environment
- Understanding/Experience in data interpretation and analysis.
- Experience working with the DFZ and/or other military populations/facilities preferred
- Familiarity with media community in Zambia
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills
- Willingness to travel frequently to clinical facilities and community events throughout the provinces
Method of Application
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document, stating the position and location e.g. (Office Manager – Kasama) in the subject line to the Human Resources Manager:
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted