We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced and energetic Head of Credit to be a part of revolutionizing credit and financial inclusion for the base of the pyramid. The role will report to the Managing Director and will work cross-functionally with our customer experience, product development, operations, marketing, and technical teams on the ground to develop, scale and manage a best-in-class credit and financial services operation and to provide an exceptional experience to our customers.
This position offers an incredible opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of a largely unbanked customer base with limited access to traditional finance and clean energy. The right candidate will be a fierce team player and committed people manager, with a passion for seeing new approaches through from idea, to testing, to scale, and an ability to build out the systems and processes to ensure high performance over time.
As Head of Credit, you will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with regular travel to the field. You will develop and manage a Credit team and create and execute on a strategy that can directly influence customers’ repayment behavior, their positive experience with A2E, and their ongoing loyalty to the brand—all crucial to the success of the business and in increasing access to financing for BOP consumers. And you will have responsibility for the overall management of credit risk at A2E Zambia
Responsibilities, Deliverables and Activities
Top 5 Key Responsibilities
- Lead strategy, analytics & innovation for credit risk management and financial services
- Proactively and sustainably manage and monitor credit risk at both a portfolio and a customer account level
- Build and manage a best-in-class credit operation, with a high-impact and right-sized organizational structure, tools, standards and systems
- Ensure company culture reflects an understanding of and passion for responsible financial services, and shared accountability for credit risk management.
- Provide strong leadership and management for your Credit team and coaching and capacity development for the Zambia team members involved in the credit process.
- Deliverables and Activities
Credit Strategy, Analytics & Innovation:
- Lead development of the cross-functional Credit Strategy, Credit Performance Management Dashboard and action plans
- Consolidate quantitative and qualitative inputs from our customers and other sources to fully understand the repayment performance of our customers.
- Design and implement A/B tests to identify the most powerful ways we can improve customer repayment behavior
- Structure and implement customer insight research projects, such as mapping the financial lives of households, to deepen our understanding of what drives repayment behaviors
- Use the data insight from the above to scale any that are effective in improving customer repayment patterns
- Inform pricing and product strategies to support the company’s strategic objectives regarding Credit and customer repayment
Credit Risk Monitoring & Management:
- Monitor, assess, and anticipate credit risk across the portfolio, and proactively and sustainably manage credit risk exposure in line with the company’s strategy and targets.
- Identify key contributors to low performance and create action plans for improvement.
- Lead the Credit Risk Committee and ensure credit risk is accurately reported, and adequately provisioned.
Scalable Credit Operations:
- Envision, implement and manage the systems, tools, structures, team and processes needed to support a highly effective and efficient credit operation that can serve hundreds of thousands of customers, localizing company standards wherever possible
- Build effective, user- and field-friendly systems, processes, and tools that the teams need to make the largest and most cost efficient impact possible on customer repayment patterns
- Coordinate with Customer Experience team to define protocols for how different teams interact with customers so that we encourage good repayment behavior in an inclusive and customer-friendly way
- Create and maintain Credit policies and procedures in line with company standards, ensure their compliance, and seek out ways to improve their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Improve the way we collect ongoing quantitative and qualitative data for each customer interaction to gain richer insight into their experience and repayment behavior
- Monitor and optimize the cost of loan servicing to strike the right balance between effectiveness and cost efficiency
Responsible Credit Culture:
- Ensure a responsible, engaging, and customer-centric approach to financial services at A2E at all points in the customer journey, and across all areas of the business.
- Collaborate with partners in other functions (Call Center, Service Center, Sales Team, etc.) to establish performance standards and create accountability for results
- Ensure there are timely and effective mechanisms for feedback to teams and team members on issues related to performance or compliance to policy and procedure, including retraining or other measures as needed
- Be an outspoken advocate for responsible financial services and credit risk management by providing strategic leadership, ongoing training and communication to the entire Zambia team
Team Building & Management:
- Build a team that is passionate about our mission and embodies our values.
- Manage the team and day to day operations related to Credit
- Mentor the team (including field teams) to continuously build their critical thinking and execution skills so that they can maximize their contributions and grow with the company
- Global cross-pollination: Collaborate with other company market teams & the Central team to leverage best practices from Zambia, implement best practices from all the networks and brainstorm solutions to common challenges.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5 years minimum work experience, at least 2 of which was in a role which involved strategy development and people management
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Work experience in related areas such as project management, financial services, data analysis, or field team management
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams, especially in a high-growth and performance-driven environment
- High level of comfort working with data, with the ability to translate analysis to insights, and insights to action
- Solid understanding of credit risk and consumer lending
- Commitment to spending time in the field to support and mentor field teams
- Commitment to be based in Zambia for at least 2 years
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Passion for the company and our customers!
Highly Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a comparable sector, such as in Digital Financial Services, in a Telecom, or for a Financial Institution (particularly where the customer base was similar to ours)
- Experience with customer segmentation and customer profiling / personas
- Experience working with and implementing projects through field staff in an emerging market
- Experience working with SQL, Tableau, R, etc.
- Experience in process development and improvement (Six Sigma, etc.)
- Experience in design thinking (a.k.a. human-centered design)
- Prior experience living and working in Southern, West or East Africa
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: