At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Assist the Process coordinator in the direction and control of shift operations of Isasmelt Furnace; Waste Heat Boiler (WHB) and associated off gas collection system and Matte Settling Electric Furnace (MSEF).
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function
- Ensure Isasmelt matte & slag samples, MSEF matte & slag samples, all boiler water samples, are collected & sent to lab as per requirement
- Ensure that the critical operating parameters are kept under control
- Effectively supervise ISASMELT, MSEF matte and slag tapping
- Prepare, issue, close and cancel work permits in Primary smelting area
- Supervise the control room operators and other field operators in the Section to achieve shift production targets safely
- Maintain required stock of all consumables at site like lancing pipes, clay, drill rods, drill bits etc
- Monitor and interpret assay results from process streams
- Monitor and interpret process data via the plant process historian system (PI)
- Maintain safety, house-keeping and discipline in the Section
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. maintenance, metallurgists)
- Understand and identify all relevant plant equipment, process control and emergency systems ; be able to explain these clearly to others
- Liaise closely with his counterpart in the Secondary Smelting Section
- Liaise closely with shift maintenance for smooth running of the plant
- Monitor plant operations and ensure operating procedures are strictly followed
- Maintain an accurate operating log-sheet using computerised or other systems
- Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on Zambian employees
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor
- Degree or diploma in Metallurgical Engineering or Equivalent
- At least 4 years of supervisory experience in copper smelting in particular with ISASMELT and/or Electric furnaces, boiler operations.
- Good at responding to changes to operating conditions
- Good communication skills
- Systematic monitoring and assessment skills
- Discipline and teamwork
- Attention to details
- Ability to follow and to give instructions where required
- Operational Requirements:
- MS office proficient
- DCS systems
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: