At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role:
As a key member of the Processing Technical team and reporting into the Plant Superintendent, the Data and Systems Engineer provides organisation, accessibility and distribution of relevant operating data to the process plant staff;
The role has a focus on weekly-yearly optimisation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include:
- The role accountabilities include the creation, development and management of the collection, warehousing, analytics and visualisation of process plant data, with the aim of improving the ability of the operational and technical staff to use the data relevant to their job leading to better informed decisions.
- Facilitate data acquisition, warehousing, accessibility, distribution and analytics.
- The role has the responsibility to develop and maintain the related data systems
- The role leads the identification, detailed planning and high quality execution of relevant data and systems projects
- The role requires autonomy and sufficient experience to develop these projects on their own, with no technical guidance from superiors.
- Maintain HSE standards, promote them where possible, ensure all safety incidents are addressed & reported promptly and maintain a very high standard of general safety
- Prioritize workloads and deliver output within turnaround time requirements
- Directly participate in the weekly to yearly work activities of the processing plant to provide feedback and recommend further improvements with regards to data and systems, and identify potential improvement through the personal understanding of team member’s needs
- Maintain a user-friendly, exhaustive and up-to-date database of all projects
- Work with limited supervision to seek continuous improvement
- Manage the interaction with the Processing Operations teams to ensure efficient delivery to customer requirements
- Drive skills transfer and training, with the aim of increasing competencies and skillsets in senior and control room staff where possible in understanding how to use data,
- Control and reduce operational costs
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent Technical or Process Management.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Commitment to SHEC performance
- Affinity to perform technical research and development
- Accustomed to carrying out advanced mathematics and computer programming
- Ability to understand internal consumer needs and limitations, and convert this into a user-friendly system
Key Job Attributes:
- Good leadership and motivational skills
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability
- Strong ability to build working relations, including a balance of assertiveness and cooperation
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner
- Ability to work autonomously and maintain self-discipline under pressure
- Be diligent and thorough in approach
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor or Master in Data Engineering, Data analyst or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ working as a Data Analyst or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ appropriate experience in developing data projects
- Experience in metallurgical process operations of a large copper concentrator highly regarded
- Knowledge of Excel, VBA, SQL, Matlab, PowerBI required. SPSSR, or other programming languages are a plus.
- Proven track record of data warehousing, collection, analytics and visualisation.
- Must be a member or eligible for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ)
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: