At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Reporting into the Superintendent Flotation, the Production Coordinator Flotation is accountable to direct and coordinate all equipment activities to provide reliable and capable production equipment to deliver and exceed targets
The ‘equipment owner’ – the role covers flotation, reagent dosing, concentrate thickening, filtration and stacking operations
The role is accountable to implement the operating procedures, guidelines, systems and processes for all the flotation equipment to maximise production and minimise costs, while ensuring operational sustainability
The role has a focus on daily-weekly execution and optimisation.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations
- The role has direct equipment accountability from the flotation feed surge tanks, discharge to the concentrate storage sheds, and to the tailings thickener feed-box, including ancillary equipment and area specific services & utilities
- Comply with site HSE standards and procedures
- Investigate all appropriate equipment related Safety and Environmental incidents and implement actions
- Identify and prioritise plant housekeeping efforts and ensure tasks are actioned;
- Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of reagent dosing systems capability and reliability, flotation stage capability, concentrate filtration capability and reliability, ancillary equipment reliability and concentrate quality
- Oversee daily operations of the flotation equipment to ensure optimised plant utilization and compliance to operating procedures, strategies & instructions;
- Monitor, control and report on plant equipment status, performance indicators, plant activities, operational shortfalls and corrective actions
- Issue Daily Operating Instructions to shift teams on key equipment and operational parameters, tasks and considerations
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Job Specific Competencies
- Attend morning shift supervisor handover meetings, clarify plant status, and challenge Shift Supervisors on performance against operating systems compliance and delivery of instructions
- Support the shift teams and Shift Senior Supervisor in the immediate performance of the equipment, but maintain focus on the daily to weekly optimisation horizon;
- Implement operational check- and log-sheets for shift teams to monitor equipment status and take prompt and appropriate corrective action
- Maintain high level of field presence
- Personally conduct routine daily field checks of equipment
- Execute operational improvement activities
- Build relations with maintenance, planning, reliability engineering, metallurgical engineering, projects and day/shift operations personnel
- Diagnose plant defects, focusing on identifying root cause, and implement both corrective and preventative measures
- Approve work requests and develop weekly maintenance plan in conjunction with maintenance planners and supervisors
- Assist in development of both short term and long term equipment production & maintenance plans and schedules to deliver equipment capability
- Work closely with the maintenance and engineering teams to implement long term fixes to deliver equipment reliability
- Support maintenance in the delivery of their tasks and coordinate access
- Manage and define work plans for cleaning contractors and/or mobile equipment (both hired and FQM owned)
- Identify, prioritise and justify capital improvement projects
- Preferably experienced in the copper circuits
Key Job Attributes
- Coach, mentor and assist in the training of the Shift Supervisors, Control Room Operators and field personnel to build and maintain high standards of operating
- Contribute to the annual operations & production budget and forecasts timely
- Control and reduce operational costs
- Uphold the FQM Way culture of “Smarter, Bolder, Driven;”
- Experience required to perform in this job
- A minimum of 8 years of direct experience in operational roles of flotation circuits
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience at a supervisory level
- Significant experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant(s)
- A Diploma in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or related field
- Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ), and to hold legal appointment as defined by the Mining regulations of Zambia.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: