Living Water International (LWI) is a global non-governmental organization that exists to demonstrate the love of God by helping communities acquire desperately needed clean water, and experience “living water” (the gospel of Jesus Christ) which alone satisfies the deepest thirst. Living Water provide safe drinking water, Christian Witness, Sanitation and Hygiene Education to communities across Africa. Multiple positions exist in the Zambia Country Office all positions will be based in CHIPATA:
Reporting to: WASH Engineer
- Ensure safe transportation of drilling equipment to and from the place of work which will involve driving the rig truck to and from points of operation
- Assemble drilling crew helpers, assistant drillers and service crew and set up drilling equipment
- Carry out safety briefings on the drilling equipment, tools and crew daily before commencement of drilling operations
- Conduct regular service checks on the drilling equipment and vehicles for the drilling operations for optimal performance. Recording the service and maintenance of each asset.
- Operate drilling equipment during boring, borehole casing, development, yield testing and cleaning processes. Select and attach drill bits and rods, regulate air pressure rotary speed and downward pressure according to the type of rock formation being drilled. Clean and flush out boreholes during development.
- Monitor drilling equipment during operations, checking gauges and listening to the equipment to assess drilling conditions and determine need to adjust drilling or alter equipment.
- Manage the drilling team ensuring they acquire knowledge and skills on drilling;
- Monitor events/outputs to ensure timely completion of drilling projects
- Keep an accurate running inventory of drilling supplies and equipment.
- Develop tools and retrieve lost tools in boreholes
- Be responsible and accountable for funds provided for expenses while in the field.
- Drill boreholes at locations that have been selected according to LWI Field Manual procedures
- Adopt the LW Quality Standards for borehole construction and design.
- Apply the geological knowledge to proficiently determine and log each geological formation encountered while drilling. This knowledge must extend to knowing how the different formations affect the performance of the penetration rate and the dangers and problems encountered while drilling in those formations
- Submit drilling reports timely
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- MUST be a committed Christian with personal relationship with Christ Jesus
- Certificate or Diploma in any discipline relating to Water, Civil and Sanitation Engineering, hydrology or equivalent
- Completion of water well drilling apprenticeship program desirable;
- 4 or more years in drilling under similar conditions
- Knowledge about all water operations, requirements, risk factors and safety measure involved in operations.
- Ability to install, test, maintain and repair water well pumps and piping systems;
- Familiar with community water systems;
- Ability to install, test, maintain and repair water well pumps and piping systems
- Outstanding troubleshooting abilities
- Familiarity with community water systems
- Flexibility to travel on motorcycle and/or drive vehicles
- Highly proficient in written and spoken in the local language. English is a plus.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach
- Knowledge to maintain the rig in optimal condition
- Ability to do minor repairs on the rig
- Knowledge of welding, hydraulics, and electricity
- Driver’s license essential to drive heavy duty vehicles
A one-page application letter of up to 1000 words, spelling out how the applicant meets the qualifications and job requirements above. (Education, similar experience, Christian belief, skills etc)
Send an updated CV (not more than (4) four pages) with Bio data, work experience, education etc.
Do not send copies of your qualifications at this stage.
Position applied for should be included in the subject line of your email when sending in your application.
Submit applications through the email or hand delivered to our office Plot 33F, Off Leopards Lane Kabulonga Lusaka
LWI in Zambia is equal opportunity employer, and therefore qualified females are encouraged to apply.
All documents submitted will not be returned and are subject to authenticity and background checks.
A recommendation from your local pastor / church leader will be an added advantage.
ONLY finalists shall be contacted, if you do not hear from us by 30th September 2020, consider your application unsuccessful.
We encourage you to visit our website: for more information about our work.
ONLY Applicants that STRICTLY meet the qualifications and person specifications should apply.